Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,745   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The issue is, where do I get a 5L graduate? Is filling a container with 5L of water and marking off the line precise enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of which, but slightly off topic, it seems Dektol is no longer available in 1 liter packets. It seems to have coincided with the change in manufacturer. The powdered Kodak chems (as well as the new liquid packages of HC-110 etc from Tetenal which have been discussed in other threads) are in packages made out of a different material - it feels more crinkly. Who cares. But now Dektol is only available in the 5 liter packs, which is a real pain. For now, D-76 seems to still be available in 1 liter packs but for how long?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    The issue is, where do I get a 5L graduate? Is filling a container with 5L of water and marking off the line precise enough?

Try clicking this link: Link
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    ? Is filling a container with 5L of water and marking off the line precise enough?
    I have always found it to be so. Just make sure the container is on a level surface. Once the line is marked then you are done.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a really good alternative for a 5 liter beaker. The one I have looks much like this.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...Fc5ffgodTUcAwg
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just mix it per the instructions on the package, in a red bucket. It needs a good bit of stirring to get all the powder into the solution. After it is finished, I pour it in 1 litre glass bottles. It lasts at least 6 months, but I have been lucky with 8 months too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format

There is really no need to be THAT accurate....

I have a plastic tub with marks (that I put on) at 1 gallon and 5 liter. I put in something like 4 liters of water. Mix in XTOL powder as instruction says, then top it off to 5 liter mark with additional water. My tub came from a local grocery store. I think it was originally meant to be a container for cereal.

It really does not make any difference if you have 4.8 liter or 5.2 liter.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    How do you fit 5 liters into a gallon container?
    For example, I have "one gallon" container from swimming pool treatment chemical. Same gallon as in USA, BTW.
    To be exact, it is one gallon of liquid inside of the plastic container.
    So, it is one gallon inside and a lot of empty space left on the top of the boutle.
    After getting this container empty, I measured it filled in up to the top. It was something like 4.7 liters.
    I went through dozens of meters (hundreds of feets) of different films with it. No problems.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's what works for me... Mix in a 1 gallon thumb hole glass jug by gently rolling the capped bottle. The 5L chemistry will dissolve in the 1 gallon of water and this method will minimize aeration. I then save to my smaller bottles and use the attached grid for my dilutions.

It may even extend the life at this elevated concentration but I haven't checked or tested vs standard stock solution. I found a bottle over one year old that was forgotten and it gave me normal densities on my densitometer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xtol4.JPG  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a big graduate/bucket at the local restaurant supply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin