Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,686   Online: 898

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak XTOL 5L packages- 5L of water or 5L of water+powder or doesn't matter?

So I noticed on the D76 packets, it's powder to some water, and then top off to 1L or 1 Gal of solution. I noticed some more vague language on the XTOL packet. Am I supposed to add 5L of water to the packet's contents, or is the total volume of the packet + volume of water supposed to be 5L, or am I just splitting hairs?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same principal for XTOL (ie start with 75-80% of the final volume and then top off to the final volume). In the case of XTOL, start with 3.8-4l water, completely dissolve the contents of part A, then completely dissolve the contents of part B, then add water to make 5l.

This is pretty clear on the package, but if you want more detail, the mixing instructions are on the first page of the technical publication:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, final volume is 5 liters, although I think you mix the powder into 4 liters of water. The powders will increase the volume to about 4.2 liters. Then you top up with water to make it 5 liters.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I store my Xtol in a 5L gas container, has a nice handy spout and everything!

Mixing instructions directly from Kodak: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Take it easy
    I use one gallon left over plastic containers from household chemicals.
    Fill it to have some space for two powders and mixing. Once it is all dissolved, add to the top.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
    Take it easy
    I use one gallon left over plastic containers from household chemicals.
    Fill it to have some space for two powders and mixing. Once it is all dissolved, add to the top.
    How do you fit 5 liters into a gallon container?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    How do you fit 5 liters into a gallon container?
    Maybe it is an old Canadian container (we used to use imperial gallons - 160 imperial ounces - just slightly smaller than 5 litres).

IIRC, you can dissolve the X-Tol powders in 4 litres, if you are willing to use slightly stronger developer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Maybe it is an old Canadian container (we used to use imperial gallons - 160 imperial ounces - just slightly smaller than 5 litres).

IIRC, you can dissolve the X-Tol powders in 4 litres, if you are willing to use slightly stronger developer.
    Seems it would be easier to just use liter containers, since the final mixed volume is 5 liters. When I mix Xtol I put 2 liters in an accordion bottle to replenish my working solution, 1 liter in a 1 liter bottle, and the remaining 2 liters in a 2 liter bottle. Makes an even 5 liters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Seems it would be easier to just use liter containers, since the final mixed volume is 5 liters. When I mix Xtol I put 2 liters in an accordion bottle to replenish my working solution, 1 liter in a 1 liter bottle, and the remaining 2 liters in a 2 liter bottle. Makes an even 5 liters.
    You need a larger container to actually do the mixing. Some will use a pail, while others prefer to mix in the container used for storage.

I'm like you Thomas, I would choose to store the mixed solution in smaller containers, although there is a store nearby that sells 4 litre mylar bags for wine that look very interesting ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You need a larger container to actually do the mixing. Some will use a pail, while others prefer to mix in the container used for storage.

I'm like you Thomas, I would choose to store the mixed solution in smaller containers, although there is a store nearby that sells 4 litre mylar bags for wine that look very interesting ....
    I hear good things about the wine bladders.

To mix the chemistry I use a stainless steel gigantic cooking pot. I measure 4 liters of water at the correct temperature and pour it in.
    Mix in the powders using a stainless steel stirrer.
    Pour it back into a big graduate that can measure 5 liters, and top it up with water to the correct volume.
    Distribute into smaller bottles.

I've always mixed my chemicals according to the pictures on the Kodak photo chemistry pouches, which show big open vessels into which you pour water and dry components to mix.
    If I need to maintain higher temperature, like with mixing D76 or mixing/using C41, I just put the stainless pot on top of my heating plate, and it works for that purpose also. It's a good catch all solution for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin