Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,651   Online: 1140

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Legacy Pro chemicals: Identical to Kodak formulas?

Surprisingly, I'm not finding a thread dedicated to this question. But I'm wondering if the Legacy chems are as identical to their Kodak counterparts as they claim. Some (unreliable seeming) sources on the interwebs suggest various provenance (produced in same plants, exact clones produced elsewhere, reverse engineered similar, not even close, etc.) Anybody know the true story, tested them with a mass spec or GC, or know from decades of experience that they are indistinguishable from the Rochester soups?

I'm gonna try some out, but I'm curious to know the back story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't help you on the ingredients, however I used it for a few years now and it's a great developer.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps but you're buying a pig in a poke. For example since the formula for D-76 is well known their L-76 is probably very similar but may not contain a few minor chemicals. However their Legacy L-110 is NOT the same as Hc-110. Just look at the MSDS sheet versus the formula in the Kodak patent. Kodak manufactured some of the chemicals because they were not otherwise available. L-110 probably does not have the long shelf life that HC-110 is known for since the Legacy formula contains water. Does it produce negatives similar to those of HC-110 maybe. But if you want HC-110 then buy HC-110.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-12-2014 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Legacy Pro were once far better known under a different name (they still manufacture the colour chemistry). It's not unusual to find ex-Kodak employees involved in smaller companies taking their knowledge with them. This happened in the UK where one third party manufacturer of colour & B&W chemistry was formed by ex-Kodak chemists.

I'm not endorsing Legacy Pro rather just stating that we can't be sure how good or bad the products are or how close to the Kodak versions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used their versions of Microdol-X, Xtol, and D76. Without having any densitometer equipment I conclude that negatives processed with either original Kodak or Legacy Pro developers print the same.

Xtol is the only one I've tested extensively, and it lasts at least as long as the yellow bag stuff.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some are, some aren't. I've used the Rapid Fix (exactly the same as far as I can tell) and the Brown toner (ditto.)

As Gerald said, some are well known formulas, some are not. I'd say for the well known ones they are the same or close enough as to make no difference. For others, I don't know, but worth a shot if something you want is no longer made by Kodak (Microdol-X, Selectol Soft etc. and, in my case, brown toner.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Some are, some aren't. I've used the Rapid Fix (exactly the same as far as I can tell) and the Brown toner (ditto.)

As Gerald said, some are well known formulas, some are not. I'd say for the well known ones they are the same or close enough as to make no difference. For others, I don't know, but worth a shot if something you want is no longer made by Kodak (Microdol-X, Selectol Soft etc. and, in my case, brown toner.)
    Roger, have you tried the brown toner? I'd like to get some, but in doing a search I didn't find out much about it. I also searched Kentmere Brown Toner since Freestyle says that's what it is, but not much on that either. JW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used the brown toner and its the same. No idea why its so expensive!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Legacy Pro were once far better known under a different name (they still manufacture the colour chemistry). It's not unusual to find ex-Kodak employees involved in smaller companies taking their knowledge with them. This happened in the UK where one third party manufacturer of colour & B&W chemistry was formed by ex-Kodak chemists.

I'm not endorsing Legacy Pro rather just stating that we can't be sure how good or bad the products are or how close to the Kodak versions.

Ian
    They are now made in Dexter, Michigan, about 15 miles from where I live. Years ago it was Unicolor. Are they the company in the UK?
    They seem to work just like the Kodak chemicals, however, I have had two bad packages of paper developer. Both had turned brown, and I had not had them very long - maybe four months. I called Freestyle and they told me they would be replaced. Within a few days I received my replacement packages directly from the manufacturer. I don't know what happened; might have just been a bad batch. As said, they were quick with the replacement.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody used LMax, their TMax developer knockoff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin