Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,458   Posts: 1,643,781   Online: 766

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, I just realised how annoying flickr is to use, how do you get to view it at full size?

Anyway, if it's a new camera and has happened on an old one too, that rules them out. Although a bit of crud on the smaller roller in the camera looks like the most likely candidate.

So you didn't mention if it was bulk-loaded film or not? Not sure how the same cartridge would do dots like this, but maybe a roller inside the bulkloader? edit: I see you've just said factory-loaded, so rule that out too.
    It doesn't look like anything that would happen from the developing reels though, they simply shouldn't touch the film near there either.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    standard operating procedure. OK-factory packed; got it. A Contaflex and a Nikon F5. The odds of both having burrs in the film train is outside realm of consideration. And it's not in the darkroom. Wait---static charge on plastic reels. Try a metal tank and reels. Or bad batch of film. A bad batch of Kodak film. Not likely. Unfiltered chemistry is out. Air bells in development is out. Bad fixer?--no.
    We're back to static charge on plastic film reels or burrs in film train in camera(s).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this mechanical damage, or some dirt - like stone from water? Can you try to remove it with some cotton? But don't touch the emulsion side, of course.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need to look at the film to identify the side emulsion or backing, no point in guessing games.

Then you need to do the same with each camera.

Or buy a third camera from a friend preferably.

Or drop them off at good repair shop if you are not practical.

When you find the microscopic spot in the camera use brass polish on it until marr dissappears.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by drgoose View Post
    This is a camera that I acquired today but I had the same problem before with film I had shot on a recently refurbished Nikon F5. This is a Contaflex. I am wondering if it could be the plastic reels on the developing tank?
    Based on this it has to be something common to both sets of circumstances, doesn't it? This seems to rule out non common matters such as camera pressure plate etc and leaves the sort of thing you have suggested yourself such as the same developing reel.

That's where I'd concentrate my attention

I hope you find the cause

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear drgoose,

It looks to me as though a soak in distilled water followed by pouring the water on both sides of the film after hanging to dry might do the trick. It looks like some dried bubbles from the photo-flo. I find that flowing some photo-flo mix on each side of the film when hanging eliminates that particular issue. Full disclosure - I think I got that tip from Roger Hicks on the old CompuServe photo forum.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need to loupe the film from each camera. If the damage is the same it won't be the cameras.

If it is different quite possible you have two bad cameras.

If the damage is colinear over several frames it is the/a camera(s).

Or take two c41 films to a minilab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something like this will be fairly obvious when you look at it under greater magnification.

I live in Florida as well. (near Orlando area) If you would like, I'd be happy to look at it under 40x stereo microscope. With it, I would be able to distinguish between physical damage and surface deposits.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somehow the negative is showing as a positive on my monitor, but when I invert it I can see the areas of increased density. I had a similar problem in the 1980s with the rollers on my Rolleiflex SL2000F. In that camera the rollers touch the emulsion side. They were causing some static charge with a period exactly equal to the circumference of the edge of the roller. New rollers fixed the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like something left from chemicals or stuff in your water.
    I had the same problem and it went away with a final wash with distilled water with a small drop of photo-flo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin