Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Marching Ants On My Negatives

Hello, I am having some bad luck with my 35 mm film. I again shot a roll of TriX400 and developed it in D76 Stock for 6:45 mins at 20 degrees. I used Kodak stop bath for 1 minute and then fixed it in rapid fixer for 5 minutes. Rinsed film in running water for 10. Soaked for 30 seconds in 1 lt of water + 2ml of photoflo and then hung them to dry. After I scanned them they all have little white spots (on the inverted positives) that look like a line of ants walked all over them. Some have 2 parallel lines running the length of the negative, some have 3. If I had to guess the look like deposits of some sort but what intrigues me is that the run parallel to the length of the negatives. If they were deposits of some solute suspended in the water that eventually dried out I would expect them to deposit at the lower end of the film.

When I develop 120 film or 4x5 I have never seen this spots.

Does anyone know what these could be?
    Thanks in advance
    35mm Pictures Contaflex Frame 22-Edit.jpg by drgoose68, on Flickr
    Last edited by drgoose; 05-12-2014 at 10:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry Not seeing it. Oh, wait--vertical near the right hand side. Hmm...

Are you loading your own and using the same cartridge? Any trash or nicks inside the camera that can scratch the film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tri-X 400 developed on D76 stock for 6:45

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the film pressure plate for anomalies, as well as the take-up spool in camera.

My FED-2 used to do something similar it was an old take-up spool Yuri replaced it when I sent it in for CLA and it has been fine since
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Check the film pressure plate for anomalies, as well as the take-up spool in camera.

My FED-2 used to do something similar it was an old take-up spool Yuri replaced it when I sent it in for CLA and it has been fine since
    I'm thinking along the same lines. Could cinching of the film from some sort of tightening up the roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    did you try re-washing the negatives? Looks like crud of some sort, but very regular.

odd.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Examine both sides of negative with Jewelers loope or photo lens.

Then the camera with Jewelers... difficult to locate a source the pressure plate needs to be perfect finish merest spec of rust break through - damage on film.

If there is a roller in film path examine that too.

The emulsion side should not be touching anything.

If rewinding the film back into cassette is not smooth and free that might damage film but not like you have.

Is this a new camera or one that has been stored?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Marching Ants

This is a camera that I acquired today but I had the same problem before with film I had shot on a recently refurbished Nikon F5. This is a Contaflex. I am wondering if it could be the plastic reels on the developing tank?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is this factory packaged Tri-X or home-rolled? Haven't heard any specifying on that. No, it's not the developing reel or anything else in the darkroom that I know of as SOP. The darkroom is way down my list on this problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Factory packaged TriX. Sorry what is SOP?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin