Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,397   Online: 746

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Images

Pan F and Rodi. This sound like a plan?

I really like Pan F but I have always had trouble getting decent shadows with good tonal seperation.
    I've been thinking of trying out Rodinal at 1:100 with gentle agitation once a minute. I'm hoping that the high dilution long rests will have a compensating effect, allowing the thin areas to build while losing activity in the denser areas.

Anybody done this or have any comments?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I really like Pan F but I have always had trouble getting decent shadows with good tonal seperation.
    I've been thinking of trying out Rodinal at 1:100 with gentle agitation once a minute. I'm hoping that the high dilution long rests will have a compensating effect, allowing the thin areas to build while losing activity in the denser areas.

Anybody done this or have any comments?
    Hi Neal,

I've done both Pan F and Pan F Plus in Rodinal 1:100 and 1:50 with good results. My rollfilm tank agitation scheme is 5 gentle torus inversions per minute with both dilutions. I personally prefer the 1:50 dilution (the maximum density is a little higher).

Be sure to expose for the shadows!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I looked up an info sheet of Agfa (Australia?) and it lists Pan F+, 20 min 1:100, 25 ASA, gamma 0.6. 1:50 should give you 50 ASA, gamma 0.65 at 11 mins.

What I did was HP5+ 40 mins 1:100 at 400 ASA and 60 mins at 800 ASA, because contrast would not go up to more than 0.6-0.65, while shadows would gain some density.

How about considering XR-1, a low contrast speed gaining developer? (www.unblinkingeye.com for formula from patent)

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Nice combination. Don`t worry about gentle agitation. Infact you need to replace the used developer with fresh. It`s the rest time that is important.

Some find the slower films contrasty, and there doesn`t seem much you can do about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Neal, have not tried it with PanF but FP4+ , EI 64 in Rodinal 1+100 gives me nice results using stand development. I usually go for 1 min of agitation then let the darn thing sit for 40 minutes at 70F. Seems the developer is pretty well spent by then, but it does give nice results. BTW, use 10 ml of Rodinal to 1L of water just to make get enough developer conc. in there...unless using trays then it is 14 ml to 1.4L.

Let us know how it works out for you...and good luck.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Lots of good advice and info.

I am going to be doing 35mm. One roll in a 250ml tank, Two in 500ml. You think that 2.5 ml of concentrate will have the poop to do an averagely exposed 36 exp roll?

I'm really trying to get better, printable tone-separation in the shadow areas. Like you can get with Tri X. I've been fooling around with some of the slower Efke films and they are quite impressive in this respect but I've got quite a bit of Pan F on hand to play with, I've goten many wonderful prints out of it over the years and I want to see if I can improve my results with it.

I don't do densitometry but I will post my impressions and results after I try it.

Thanks again.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Neal!
    I love Pan f+! I use the 35mm (haven't developed the 120 yet). Here's what I use:
    Rodinal 1:50 for 11 minutes. I use the same agitation scheme as Tom...5 gentle toroidal inversions per minute. (I also "wonk" it on the counter after each agitation & when I first pour in the soup.)
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Hi Neal!
    I love Pan f+! I use the 35mm (haven't developed the 120 yet). Here's what I use:
    Rodinal 1:50 for 11 minutes. I use the same agitation scheme as Tom...5 gentle toroidal inversions per minute. (I also "wonk" it on the counter after each agitation & when I first pour in the soup.)
    That's exactly how I get my best results, although I've been meaning to test the 1:200/90 minute stand development process that was discussed under another thread. Apparently it works quite well for high-contrast midday shots.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pan F+ and Rodinal 1+50 is my favorite too.

Images
    I've used Pan 1:50 a few times, I'm interested see if 1:100 improves my shadows.

What are you guys, (you're one of the guys, Jeanette ) rating your Pan F at?
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin