Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 839

Thread: Milky fixer?

Shooter
    35mm

Milky fixer?

Just mixed up some Sprint Rapid Fixer concentrate at 1:4 and added the listed amount of alum to make a hardening fix for film. The solution came out slightly milky in apperance. There was some white precipitate in the concentrate that I filtered before mixing. The Sprint is about 6 years old and is in an airless cubetainer (kind of like 'box-o-wine' comes in). But I have noticed some air has come into the container. Every other time I've mixed film strength fixer I remember it being clear. I tried it out on 2 rolls of 35mm and it cleared the film in a normal fashion but I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this sort of thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Might have mixed it too warm, and it is problably decomposing fro age. Does it smell "stinky"? That's the sulfur coming out of compound. I always throw in about 1/2 ounce of sodium sulfite with old fixers I mix up.

Shooter
    35mm
    No sulfur smell. The water was filtered tap water at 75F. Negs came out clean so I guess I'll just watch it but contine to use it. If I run out of the Sprint fixer or it no longer works I'll switch to Ilford liquid concentrate in the 500ml size, order 2 and mix one for film and one for prints. I ordered a dozen plain amber bottles, 32oz. size from U-Line corp. and store made up chems in them.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Now I feel really dumb.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin