Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,707   Online: 750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rookie question

Shooter
    35mm

rookie question

I am developing film at home for the first time...ever. So I went to the local store and got a packet of D76 (its all they had) and its enough to make 1L.

I am hearing conflicting things, is it better to pour the powder into the water or vice versa? I am getting conflicting answers and I want to get it right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    powder into water. The instructions are pretty clear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Heat 700ml to 55 degrees C. Add the powder. Stir. Add water to get 1000ml solution.

Skickat från min GT-P5210 via Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Follow the directions on the Kodak packet. Start with about 800ml of water in the suggested temperature range, then with continuous stirring, gradually pour in the contents of the packet. Keep stirring until dissolved. Then add cool water to bring the total volume to 1L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D76 is really good, just read & follow the directions.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As with acids, always acid into the water. You don't want to dump water on concentrated acid onto a tray and have it splash on you.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    As with acids, always acid into the water. You don't want to dump water on concentrated acid onto a tray and have it splash on you.
    ???????

The OP is talking about a powdered product which results in an mildly alkaline solution . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone for your help. I finally worked up the courage to do it. First roll was a success. second roll not as successful (i don't think I loaded the spool correctly).

But I am excited to see where this whole home dev thing takes me. Certainly going to save me a ton of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by simonponder View Post
    Thank you everyone for your help. I finally worked up the courage to do it. First roll was a success. second roll not as successful (i don't think I loaded the spool correctly).

But I am excited to see where this whole home dev thing takes me. Certainly going to save me a ton of money.
    Keep on going, practice makes perfect.

P.S: still after over a decade and a half of processing I'm still practicing
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stay with the D-76 and make notes, advice from someone who did not in the beginning. My daughter is a Pro and she uses nothing but D-76. Good luck and welcome to the group. Was close to San Antonio last week in the hill country.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin