Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,999   Online: 1172

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I can't tell very much from the picture. You say the film was completely clear. If so, it wasn't developed, otherwise you would at least see the pre-exposed edge markings (film type, frame number, etc.). You also say that most of the emulsion came off. How did you determine that, when did it happen, and what did it look like? If it came off, either it was defective or you subjected it to some violent chemical or physical action. What developer, stop bath, and fixer did you use? You say the backing paper came off. When? In the camera? You normally remove the backing paper before development, and I assume you did that.

I used:
    Developer: R09 (1+50 with 15 minutes recipe)
    Stop Bath: A pinky vinegar smelling bottle of Kodak Professional "indicator stop bath". I think it was 16ml per litre or something.
    Fixer: Ilford Rapid Fixer, 1+4 as indicated by instructions

The backing paper came off in the change bag, I wasn't completely sure if you were suppose to do this but I couldn't get it on the reel any other way.

As for the emulsion, all I can really determine is that the film is completely clear like contact wrap, except for the manufacture's name, and a few splotches of grey area that are very feint; absolutely no frame borders are visible. The film stuck to itself a number of times when I was trying to get it onto the reel and I heard a scratching sound - but I wouldn't expect practically all of the film to be cleared.

Could it be some way I loaded it in the Paterson tank? Or a problem with my agitation method? I rocked it back and forth as indicated on guides.
    I will have to try it again to be sure I imagine. From what everyone is saying it was the developing phase that went wrong, or it seems so.

Edit: If I am doing another roll to shoot through for testing purposes, is it useful to have an under or over exposed frame to tell what happened next time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use that film to practice loading the reel in the light. When you feel you have the hang of it, then practice in a dark-bag. This way it will be easier when you load your next roll.

I really can't comment on what might have gone wrong. I'd think something would have shown. Zooming in on your picture, it does seem like there is some "rebate" there, so I think it developed. I'm leaning toward an exposure problem, but even with the ISO set wrong, I'd think something would have shown. Hard to say without more details.
    I do have a back for my Bronica that will let me fire the shutter with the dark slide in, so sometimes things do go wrong.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchins View Post
    Could it be some way I loaded it in the Paterson tank? Or a problem with my agitation method? I rocked it back and forth as indicated on guides.
    which paterson tank do you have? not getting the full 500ml indicates something weird has happened, however if you've effectively diluted your developer by 20% (100ml water + 400ml of 1:50 developer) your negs will probably be 'thin' but pretty sure they'd still develop (when I used 'ordiginal' Rodinal, I use to use 18mins @ 1:100).

If your tank is a System 4 with the plastic lid and it's leaking, try 'burping' it. You do this by holding an edge up, pushing the middle down (expels air) and then pushing the edge down. This creates a slight vacuum in the tank and it won't leak (as much!)

If I am doing another roll to shoot through for testing purposes, is it useful to have an under or over exposed frame to tell what happened next time?
    yes, but just over-expose. For each scene you shoot, do +1 & +2 exposures. maybe chuck in a +3 as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try a c41 film and drop it off at a mini lab will confirm the camera is ok.

When you next have a film in dark bag.

First respool the film into a roll of paper and a roll of film they separate easily until you reach the sticky tape then separate the tape from the paper tearing slowly...

fold the sticky tape back over the film.

Load the film into reel.

This last step is way difficult in a dark bag you do need to practice in daylight with eyes closed and the spoilt film until it is like playing Chopin etude on piano with eyes closed with no wrong notes.

You need to be relaxed...

Shooter
    35mm
    if te letters showed up, you did SOME developing. the roll in teh photo also shows what looks like a small amount of (normal) fog from the edge of the paper.

SO you may not have "fully" developed the roll, or your may not have exposed the roll properly. I have encountered problems with another Chinese film (Lucky SHD) not being attached to the backing paper and folding in the camera, but any of the GP3 seems to be very carefully hand assembled.

I concur with the advice to check the camera with a roll shot then developed by a commercial lab.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the manufacturer's name is on the edge of the film, then the problem lies mainly in the camera. Either you underexposed dramatically or the shutter didn't open correctly. Are you sure that you loaded the film into the camera correctly? With some cameras, it's possible to load it such that the paper is exposed to the light and not the film, which will result in what you got.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any chance you shot it at 400 and not 100 since you mentioned the only other roll you've processed was 400H?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    If the manufacturer's name is on the edge of the film, then the problem lies mainly in the camera. Either you underexposed dramatically or the shutter didn't open correctly. Are you sure that you loaded the film into the camera correctly? With some cameras, it's possible to load it such that the paper is exposed to the light and not the film, which will result in what you got.
    I would agree with this analysis.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    It was more than two stops underexposed, in my view. Had that been the only issue I'd have expected thin images but not no images

Do as Xmas suggests with C41 but without a film can you check that the apertures and shutter speeds are working as they should first?

If they appear to be, then load with C41 and use a lab.

It sounds as if you loaded OK in the end but I'd be inclined to use the nearly blank film as a practice one to ensure that loading goes as smoothly as possible next time.

Finally get to the bottom of this puzzle over the overflowing developer. If the tank takes 500ml and it was empty to start with then it should take the full 500ml. Use water and the blank film to make sure

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film was developed correctly, as noted by the manufacturing edge markings. It's almost definitely a camera problem. Here are the possible issues:
    • Film not winding correctly in camera
    • Shutter is sticking or jammed
    • Film was drastically underexposed
    Change the shutter speeds and shoot it without film. Dry fire the Mamiya without the back and see if the curtain moves, using different speeds (1 second and up). If all seems OK, try another roll and if it happens again, I would get your camera looked at by a professional.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin