Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,821   Online: 993

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    If the manufacturer's name is on the edge of the film, then the problem lies mainly in the camera. Either you underexposed dramatically or the shutter didn't open correctly. Are you sure that you loaded the film into the camera correctly? With some cameras, it's possible to load it such that the paper is exposed to the light and not the film, which will result in what you got.
    So I'm 99% sure (until I develop a roll this evening) that you hit the nail on the head here!

I believe I may have been loading the film in incorrectly, and that means I could have five rolls of film at home that have been wound through the camera but not exposed! (I think I have consistently inserted it this same way, I didn't think it was incorrect because the start marker appears to be labelled on both sides of the paper!)
    The 400H was actually loaded by the previous owner of the camera, and the shutter opens just fine without a film back as did this 400H roll develop properly in the lab.

I have attached images:
    I developed a roll of Foma 200 this time to check if the film was different or not, there was a very distinct green tinted liquid washing out after the initial pre-develop bath in water!

IMG_2532.jpg: My second develop attempt (Foma 200)
    IMG_2535.jpg: The mamiya guide
    IMG_2535.jpg: Shows how I've loaded it to start with.
    IMG_2536.jpg: Shows how I loaded it after more carefully examining the Mamiya guide.
    Much the same results, very clear label markings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2536.jpg   IMG_2535.jpg   IMG_2532.jpg   IMG_2534.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried shooting through the backing paper one time and found out the reason they have backing paper......'cause no light can get to your film and ruin it! If you would have been using 220 film you might have gotten an weak image, but that darn backing paper works good. We all live and learn I guess. I hope you don't have any "once in a lifetime shots" on those rolls? JW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are sure just re roll them in dark bag and reload into camera use sticky packing paper or similar to hold together.

The cameras normally have load help annotation and the film is always inside roll from out of box.

You may have pressure plate scratches...

Films do have dyes some colour your developer some persist into fix and hypo clear or even wash water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I'm sure it won't take much guessing to figure out why I suggested that.
    Hope that's helped and that we can see some good ones soon! I haven't used (or even loaded or seen) a Mamiya to recognize anything in the photos. Hopefully someone will see the photos and chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    see my diagram

red line is the film. ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mamiya.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First time I used a Mamiya RB67 I loaded the film wrong and the paper backing was facing the lens. I then spent all day going around, shooting carefully on a tripod. It did teach me to always check how to load a new MF camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    First time I used a Mamiya RB67 I loaded the film wrong and the paper backing was facing the lens. I then spent all day going around, shooting carefully on a tripod. It did teach me to always check how to load a new MF camera.
    I feel for you! A relief to know I'm not alone.
    Thanks for all the help everyone.
    I'll post the results of how it eventually works.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you should sort out what you are doing while developing as well. How did you measure the 500ml? A patterson tank should take 600ml or more easy. Did you drain the presoak?
    Do you mark what is developer, stop bath and fixer? That way you will know what steps you have taken and remove any variables.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film was not exposed properly. Either the film was loaded with emulsion on the back. Or the film never went through the camera.

I had one incidence like this. I bought a MF camera, with a film inside. So I removed the film back and rewound it in the change bag. After several month, I took out the film and loaded into my camera. I spent a couple of hours on the trail, but the 6x4.5 camera would not load at frame #12. So I had to change to another film back with a new roll of film.

After I got home and opened the film back in change bag, I found that the film was already rewound to the end. So I loaded the supposed exposed film again. Since there is no tape at the end (front in my case), the film was never exposed. It just stayed with the spool and would not win when the spool area is full.

It did not harm me much since I was only testing that camera. But I did waste some of my time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all,
    Just to sum it up for people looking:
    The issue was I loaded the film backwards.
    I have done a few rolls since and most have turned out pretty acceptably, apart from scratching and sticking issues.

I'm well on my way enjoying film. Here's a picture from a roll of HP5+ that had a bit of light spill onto it but I like the picture and managed to make it somewhat usable. FYI I did discover Rodinal and HP5+ do not play nicely
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10485757_10154271255225573_6742723230535186536_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	90151

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin