Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,533   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    ... I think it is a bad idea to wash the film in running tap water. primarily as it is too cold and cold water doesn't wash effectively, but prolonged wetting of the film makes emulsion swollen and soft.
    I keep my water temperature at about 20°C.
    Now I'm totally confused, If it is dirt from the air how come that it is pretty uniform?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris011 View Post
    I keep my water temperature at about 20°C.
    Now I'm totally confused, If it is dirt from the air how come that it is pretty uniform?
    Confusion seems to be permanent state of film photography.
    Well, instead of asking us you have to carefully analyze your environment and find source of this type of particles. It might be even something as stupid as dust on your sleeve brought from outside. I am not quite sure if this thing happened once or it is a constant annoyance. I would examine everything from the bulk loader to the camera inside, all the storage places etc. Water is the last place. Even if it carries some particles they should get lost, when you shake the film from the access of the water. However, if you use films like Foma, Shanghai or Lucky such a perticles may be included in emulsion already in production stage.

Shooter
    35mm
    You mentioned that you are hanging the film to dry in your bathroom. Clean the room the day before using it for film-drying then try running some hot water for a few minutes, to get some steam in the air and drag down any remaining dust, immediately before hanging the film.

A jug style water-filter would be adequate for a source of clean washing water, although the last rinse can best be in de-mineralised water with about half the recommended amount of wetting-agent. Additionally, and obviously, check that every liquid chemical and use of water is clean of particles (perhaps by shaking them up a little then letting a spoonful dry on a dark coloured saucer, to see what is left).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Total overkill, unless you live in country with real dirty water supply. I don't think so.
    I use for everything tap water; developing, fixing, washing. I have no idea where from in tap water such a large, hard particles could be found, but I think it is a bad idea to wash the film in running tap water.
    Timor,

Seriously, in my case it was gung in the tap water. And it is a pretty common occurence. Infrastructure and water quality varies dramatically from one location to another. Search for some recent posts about water quality. You'll find some amazing posts out there
    In my case, my son did a science project analyzing our water supply for particular matter. It was a real eye-opener. That is when I bought a water filter a and a temp regulator. No more spots on my films. Or at least way less than before. I still get occasional spots when I coat my own emulsion and forget to use distilled water for soaking paper.

Eugene.

P.S. I also use tap water for mixing chemicals/washes, etc. I just use filtered tap water.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A water filter after the inlet of the municipal water pipe into a house seems standard over here since the 70s.

Then still debris fom the own piping could be an issue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Timor,

Seriously, in my case it was gung in the tap water. And it is a pretty common occurence. Infrastructure and water quality varies dramatically from one location to another. Search for some recent posts about water quality. You'll find some amazing posts out there
    In my case, my son did a science project analyzing our water supply for particular matter. It was a real eye-opener. That is when I bought a water filter a and a temp regulator. No more spots on my films. Or at least way less than before. I still get occasional spots when I coat my own emulsion and forget to use distilled water for soaking paper.

Eugene.

P.S. I also use tap water for mixing chemicals/washes, etc. I just use filtered tap water.
    Looks like I am lucky so far. Toronto has not bad water supply for now (but the system is aging), however little deeper inside Ontario things are not so good. Well, good, that your problem was solved, the lesson for us is to remember about quality of the water we use for (critical) processes. Maybe portable Brita filter system should become a permanent item in my darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do not use chemicals made from solids for 24 hours, to make sure everything is completely dissolved.

Also, filter all chemicals before each use with coffee filters. That eliminated the minor number of spots I used to get (that resulted in a few white spots on prints).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just want to thank you all for helping me, it was a water problem. I was on the wrong track, I thought that I had a problem with the fixer, because of those little white crystals on the emulsion side of negative.
    I switched to demineralized water throughout the whole process and ilford rinsing method instead of running water from tap.
    You saved me a lot of time and effort!
    Thanks again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000401.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	546.1 KB 
ID:	90197

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent, problem solved! (When in doubt, check the water

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin