Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,458   Posts: 1,643,790   Online: 688

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

XTOL - D76 - tonality

So, after spending some time reading about the differences (hey, if I'm going to spend time and mix another batch of something, I might as well look into alternatives), the general consensus is that XTOL gives finer grain, and a slight increase in shadow detail. Also, instead of an upswept curve, it gives more of a highlight preserving/compressing S curve. Lots of people have claimed that the midtones are flat in XTOL negs; is this due to poor processing, or a nature of XTOL?
    Seems to me that the S curve would expand midtones a little bit

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard a lot about the differences. But honestly, I don't see it, at least in normal processing.

When I pushed two stops using Tri-X and TMAX400, or when I processed Delta 3200, I saw XTOL results were far superior. Less grain and alot smoother transition. But other times, they look basically the same to me.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the idea of an upswept curve with a liberal amount of salt. All it means is not all of the Characteristic Curve has been plotted. In order to compare two curves they must be drawn to the same scale and cover the same exposure region.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-12-2014 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So, after spending some time reading about the differences (hey, if I'm going to spend time and mix another batch of something, I might as well look into alternatives), the general consensus is that XTOL gives finer grain, and a slight increase in shadow detail. Also, instead of an upswept curve, it gives more of a highlight preserving/compressing S curve. Lots of people have claimed that the midtones are flat in XTOL negs; is this due to poor processing, or a nature of XTOL?
    Seems to me that the S curve would expand midtones a little bit

Thanks
    I would suggest that most of the differences you describe are dependent on other factors such as exposure, lighting ratios, development time/temperature to name but a few.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    OP if you have used D76 and want to compare it to Xtol then try Xtol. If you haven't as yet used either then get both and compare. In the long term and I assume you are into film photography for the long term the cost of two packs of both against all other costs will be tiny and even if you prefer one to the other you will probably have used most of each to make any comparison meaningful.

Neither will produce unprintable negs. Only you will know which of the two sets of negs you prefer.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bet you won't be able to see the differences in negatives exposed at box speed, unless you have a microscope and/or a densitometer.

But if the lower toxicity and ease of replenishment appeal to you, then you will notice a difference.

And X-Tol is cheap too, so if you haven't used up 5 litres in six months, it isn't a tragedy to discard the unused portion.

You will need a mixing container of at least 4 litres though (5 is better).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film is an important variable. Regarding image structure characteristics, Kodak says generally XTOL produces slightly finer grain and slightly higher sharpness than D-76. Whether or not you can see the difference would depend on the film and enlargement factor - assuming all other variables are constant.

Regarding tonality and film speed, these are defined by the H&D curve of the film/developer combination. If it helps, attached is one example of comparative XTOL and D-76 curves for TMax 100. In this case the differences are very small.

Also note as Gerald pointed out, every curve is s-shaped if you plot the entire exposure scale. What differentiates films and developers is the relative lengths of the toe, "straight line" and shoulder. So the question about s-shapes really had more to do with the extent to which the s-shape exists within the exposure ranges one normally encounters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S_Dev1.jpg  
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 06-13-2014 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think so too. the s curveshould expand midtones(increase midtone contrast)at the expense of compressed shadows and highlights;I never was a big fan of pronounced film shoulders;it kills highlight contrastAnyway. to me, D76 is hard to beat as an overall compromise of speed, tonality,grain and sharpness.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks
    I'm worried that I'd be losing something significantly with xtol

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm, definitely going to try XTOL as it doesn't have the 450mL 1+1 solution per roll like D76 1:1 does

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin