Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,648   Online: 1121

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Wetting Agent in Fixer - Is this a problem?

Last night after developing a film, I mixed up my final rinse with 5ml of Ilfotol wetting agent (similar to Photo-flo). Only to realize that I had added it to 1l of fixer that I had saved to re-use, instead of to the rinsing water! Can I still use the adulterated fixer, or should I toss it and mix a fresh batch to be safe?

Thanks for your advice
    Andrew
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It won't affect your films, no problem.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    As above - NO

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your assistance.

Andrew
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be sure to scrub your film reels regularly.

I wonder how it might affect the operation of HCA or other washaid? I don't know the answer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would have the same effect as at the developing stage. (With exception that surfactants contained in the film itself now have been washed out. Academic anyway...) But basically there could be the same ill effect of foam forming.
    So in case of doubt just have a look into the tank from time to time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I like others doubt it would be any problem, but why would you risk a film for the sake of a small amount of fixer. It's not like you can run that many films through one lot anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to report back: I ran a clip test and the film cleared normally. I developed another film last night using the same fixer with no apparent problem, although I did increase the fixing time just to be safe. I don't use HCA for film (although I do for FB prints) so can't answer that question. Thanks again for the help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin