Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,237   Online: 703

Shooter
    Multi Format

Acufine vs Diafine

I'm a user of Diafine for many years. My single bath developers include T-Max, Rodinal, HC-110 and D-76. I was reading a description of Acufine today which said it had the same speed increase as Diafine. Would I be correct in guessing it is a single bath version of Diafine, or is it completely different? I was also reading about ACU-1, which seems to be a one-shot version of Acufine, but since no one will ship it to me in Canada I can't find out for myself! Freestyle is sending me some Acufine and I'm curious about what I should expect.

Chris

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by drmoss_ca View Post
    I'm a user of Diafine for many years. My single bath developers include T-Max, Rodinal, HC-110 and D-76. I was reading a description of Acufine today which said it had the same speed increase as Diafine. Would I be correct in guessing it is a single bath version of Diafine, or is it completely different? I was also reading about ACU-1, which seems to be a one-shot version of Acufine, but since no one will ship it to me in Canada I can't find out for myself! Freestyle is sending me some Acufine and I'm curious about what I should expect.

Chris
    Diafine is very different from Acufine, not the same beast at all, Acufine is sharper with more grain, more contrast, I have used both, for MF and LF when grain has not been an issue and need for speed I liked Acufine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since Diafine, Acufine and Acu-1 are proprietary it is impossible to discern if they have any relation to one another. Ansel Adams in his book The Negative recommends becoming completely familiar with one film and one developer before considering changing to something else. I have to say you are already using four developers. Do you really need to add another at this point.

Acufine and Acu-1 are phenidone based developers and as such really only provide a 2/3 stop increase in speed. Anything else is really only hype. This has been discussed many times on APUG. I have used both and was unimpressed with the results. Diafine is also phenidone based.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-15-2014 at 02:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used both year ago with Tri-X. I much preferred the Acufine, but that was mainly because of the contrast level I was looking for (higher than Diafine). Acufine was a bit on the grainy side, but it suited my subject matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always meant to try Diafine, but never have. I have some Acufine, and use it now and then. It's actually a great developer, at least for Tri-X, which is all I shoot. Very sharp! It doesn't quite have the same tones as D76, and it doesn't keep as long as TD-16, which is why I went to that from D76, but I always got good results from Acufine. Unlike John, I haven't noticed grain issues. In fact, it's a little too smooth for my tastes, especially with 120 film. If I can find them, I'll post some shots here.

OK, just to give you a selection, the first shot is a crop from a Zeiss Ikonta w/ Novar 120 neg. The second is from a Rolleicord w/ Triotar, the third is from a Super Ikonta w/ Novar, and the last is from a Nikon N8008s w/ Leica R 90 Elmarit. All were shot w/ Tri-X and a yellow filter, except the last shot, where I used a red filter. Boy, I miss that Rolleicord. That Triotar lens rocked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop Scanned in B&W.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	89620

Name:	small aa3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	89621

Name:	small 7777.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	89622

Name:	small r8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	89623
    Last edited by momus; 06-15-2014 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    ........ I always got good results from Acufine. Unlike John, I haven't noticed grain issues. In fact, it's a little too smooth for my tastes, especially with 120 film.

I should have added that I was using it in the early 1970s in a not well lit indoor skating rink with 35mm Tri-X rated at 1000ASA or maybe more.

And of course, 120 size film makes a world of difference!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your thoughts.

Chris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin