Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,662   Online: 971

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ilford XP2 film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford XP2 film

I've used the old Ilford XP1 and it never floated my boat. I never cared for chromogenic BW films, but here's Andrew Sanderson's take on it. I respect him immensely though. I wonder if XP2 is an improvement over XP1? I respect him immensely though.

http://www.thewebdarkroom.com/?p=524
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can tell you from personal experience that XP2 is a great film. Quite a few of my earlier images in my gallery are XP2. I only moved away from it when I started my own darkroom, and standard B&W is much easier for me to process than C41. (never done C41, but am considering expeimenting with it just for XP2 because I kinda miss it). XP2 prints beautifully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I inadvertently shot some XP2 and souped it in standard B&W developer, it looks to be outstanding film, especially if developed properly. There's no orange mask, so it prints wonderfully on traditional B&W paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used some a few years back and it's really good stuff. When XP1 first came out I re-spooled onto 620 spools for a "much loved" Kodak Medalist II I had. I was blown away with the results and used it for B&W work after that. I developed my own in Ilfords XP1 kit and it worked fine. I haven't used much since then, but certainly have nothing against it that's for sure. I like the exposure latitude and used it at anywhere from ISO 50 to 800 and had no complaints. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With all these positive postings, I might give XP2 a try.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    With all these positive postings, I might give XP2 a try.
    You won't go wrong by trying it. I shoot mainly 120 XP1 and XP2 so can't really comment on 35mm, but it should be darn good too. It's a film that I found had no distinct characteristics other than being very easy to work with. Most B&W films seem to "mush-up" when you start trying to get a fine-grained look and need a little grain texture to add that "bite" that's need to give the look of sharpness. XP@ doesn't need that. You can get "sharp" results with almost no grain visible. Still, its look might not be your cup of tea, but you won't know 'til you try. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Beautiful film, just give plenty of exposure.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    It is now XP2+ rather than XP2. XP1 was before my time but those who tried XP1 and XP2+ all seem to say that XP2+ is considerably better.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeap, the current XP2 Super is the third generation. XP2 was introduced in 1991 and the present one in 1998.
    XP1 was introduced in 1980 and was the 1st chromogenic film.
    I've used XP2 since the 90s and it is a beautiful film.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Medium Format
    XP 2 is a marvelous film. I used it extensively for several years and it never failed me. Excellent for portrait images. For me it loved to be used at 200 asa and worked great for keeping skin very soft and creamy. I also left it when I built my first darkroom and now use HP5 and FP4 in 35 mm and primarily medium format .

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin