Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,997   Online: 790

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Barry Thornton's Two Bath Developer question Part 2

I've been using the standard BTTB with very good results for almost 2 months. I typically use Rollei Superpan 200 and have a dev time of 4m15s in each bath. I recently shot a roll in some pretty harsh light and it had very blown highlights which got me thinking about N- and N+ development with BTTB. My question is do i need to adjust my developing time with the N- or N+ recipes he suggested. I have search online and have read in several places that time isn't a major concern with this developer. However i haven't read anything that gives much information about the + & - development (including his website).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

"It is better to travel well than to arrive." - Buddha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Barry Thornton's Two Bath Developer question Part 2

If you blew the highlights shouldn't you have exposed differently? Further maybe try again with two rolls: one you expose the same under similar lighting but pull your development time by 15%, the other expose more carefully to try not to blow the highlights and develop normally. That will answer for yourself which would be for effective for what you want way more than anyone speculating here without us knowing more of your scene and how you personally exposed it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    If you blew the highlights shouldn't you have exposed differently? Further maybe try again with two rolls: one you expose the same under similar lighting but pull your development time by 15%, the other expose more carefully to try not to blow the highlights and develop normally. That will answer for yourself which would be for effective for what you want way more than anyone speculating here without us knowing more of your scene and how you personally exposed it.
    I exposed the way I had to for the shot. The subject is properly exposed however the surrounding area in the frame was far to overexposed (imo). I believe the saying is expose for the shadows develop for the highlights. As i said in the original post everything I can find says that time isn't a major factor with BTTB so from my understanding cutting development time by 15% or even 20% would not have enough effect. Barry Thornton suggests using different mixes of his developer for - and + development rather than adjusting time (again assuming that I'm understand correctly).
    Last edited by MrBrowning; 06-19-2014 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Correcting typing errors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would happily post the photo but it is of a child (not mine) and my wife's family have requested that their child's pictures not be put online.

The picture is of an infant in the shade of the tree at mid day. The sun was very bright and the area just outside of the shade is the part that I feel is far to overexposed.

I'm still trying to learn this developer and am looking for information on the N- & N+ development. My exposure is what it had to be for the situation (and what the camera would allow).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a thread going a while back in which I tried to debunk all sorts of crap about how two-solution Metol/sulfite/alkali development works and what the controls are. To make a long story short, control of contrast is essentially by varying the time in solution A.

Note however, I always have to ask the question - were there really "blown" highlights? Or were they simply too dense for a straight print? The latter is nearly always the case. People mistake dense highlights for blown highlights. Not correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May we know when to consider it is a dense highlights and blown highlights in stops from shadow?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Again, BTTB is no magic recipe and so are other 2-bath developers.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I had a thread going a while back in which I tried to debunk all sorts of crap about how two-solution Metol/sulfite/alkali development works and what the controls are. To make a long story short, control of contrast is essentially by varying the time in solution A.

Note however, I always have to ask the question - were there really "blown" highlights? Or were they simply too dense for a straight print? The latter is nearly always the case. People mistake dense highlights for blown highlights. Not correct.
    The highlights are very dense. I'd say they aren't unprintable but it would take a good amount of messing with to get a good print (however this roll is to be scanned). I'm just trying to understand how in the future to deal with this problem while using this developer.

I know that if I was using HC110 or Xtol I could simply cut development time. However Barry Thornton in Edge of Darkness suggests changing the amount of Sodium sulfite (if memory serves) for N- or N+ development. If I do this do I simply simply use my normal developing time or do I have to cut the time? This is where my confusion is coming in.

If I do as you suggest how much would I cut bath A by? Would 20% be a good starting point or would I need more / less of a cut?

This is the first time in the ~20 rolls of film I've shot and used this developer with that I've had this issue. Typically I'm very pleased with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Again, BTTB is no magic recipe and so are other 2-bath developers.
    I know there is not such thing as a magic recipe, or combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I should have asked the question this way. Using BTTB how do I use the zone system idea of N- and N+ development. Barry Thornton suggest changing the amount of Sodium Sulfite. If I do this do I also have to change development times or do I use my standard times that I have already set? or do I have to do testing to find new times for -/+ development.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin