Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 718

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm afraid that according to the Pacifica Chapter of the Center for Photographic History and Technology (CPHT) silver gelatin film and paper isn't yet "Alternative" enough to be counted as "Alternative Photography".
    Too bad, because I do silver gelatin film and paper and I live in Pacifica...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Coincidentally, my wife drives a Pacifica.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't consider silver gelatin printing to be an alternative process, it is the mainstream of darkroom work. If anything digital is the alternative.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Too bad, because I do silver gelatin film and paper and I live in Pacifica...
    You would be welcome if you wanted to attend a regular meeting or the bi-annual symposium.

The regular meetings are free, and very interesting.

The 2012 symposium was really fascinating.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sorry John.

I'm afraid that according to the Pacifica Chapter of the Center for Photographic History and Technology (CPHT) silver gelatin film and paper isn't yet "Alternative" enough to be counted as "Alternative Photography".

But it has been considered.

I use digital tools for sharing things digitally, and almost all my recent colour prints have been made using a digital intermediary.

But I shoot film whenever and wherever I can, including transparency film for projection.

I print black and white in the darkroom, and am trying to get back to optical colour printing.

When I have photographs printed at a lab, I avoid ink jet processes and insist on RA4.

I lurk and experience vicariously the work that other, more alternative photographers do. So far, I've got a single Van Dyke brown print in my experience.

I may as well include a plug for the fall 2014 Northwest Symposium for Alternative Process Photography: http://www.altphotopacifica.org/Events.html

hi matt

thanks for the link!

yeah i know it is figurative at this point, not really alternative like carbon, pt/pd &c
    but as time marches on ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    at this point using traditional materials ( photo paper and film )
    is considered "alternative process photography" since
    the main stream uses more modern techniques.

do you polish your own metal plates to make daguerrotypes? coat your own wet plates/tintypes?
    make your own silver emulsion, or paper or books, or coat your own film
    ...?
    Seems to me that the processes you mention all occurred prior to film/paper processes, so how does that make them modern techniques?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Seems to me that the processes you mention all occurred prior to film/paper processes, so how does that make them modern techniques?
    hi silvero

there are modern day people who do these things.
    just like there are modern day people who make paper negatives ( calotype negatives) and
    salt prints which were the first postiive/negative process invented at the same time as daguerrotypes.
    my point was that now that non silver non chemical processes are main stream and
    what we all do here is not, how much of the whole chemical aesthetic do you embrace.

it is a wide open field and i think it is great ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin