Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,838   Posts: 1,582,467   Online: 762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

silver gelatin printing, and using film

at this point using traditional materials ( photo paper and film )
    is considered "alternative process photography" since
    the main stream uses more modern techniques.

how far away from the digital main stream are you ?

do you polish your own metal plates to make daguerrotypes? coat your own wet plates/tintypes?
    make your own silver emulsion, or paper or books, or coat your own film, or use ready made materials to make your life trouble free?

since its all alternative photography at this point, what do you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am, and have always been a traditional film and paper guy. Lately, I've been working on Pt/Pd and carbon transfers. In the past, I have coated paper with liquid emulsion products, and enjoy every aspect of the craft. The only digital work I do is digisnap pix of items I sell, and scanning finished prints for display on sharing sites. My original prints are hanging on walls of friends, family, and clients.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few years ago, I was asked to make a small presentation at an "alt process" gathering. I began my talk by saying: "Hello, my alternative process is roll film!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't printed in silver in almost two years. I print almost exclusively in Palladium. I'll do Cyanotype a bit more when I can get my pH problem under control. I'm also considering getting into RA-4 when I have access to a proper darkroom again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Rick and David, the flesh and blood of my photography is film and chemistry. I do brew my own chemical paper developers and I am thinking of learning a true alternate process with either Carbon transfer of Kalitype printing.

I do have a digital camera I use for snaps such as yesterday when my grandson graduated from kindergarten and moves on to 1st grade. A florescent lit gymnasium is not a place to attempt art and the digital camera has a setting for just that situation.

I guess I would say use the right tool to the situation, or as my other grandson might say: BE PREPARED

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Feet in both buckets here.

Shooter
    35mm

Tfhere is more

There is more to the digital mainstream than just equipment and paper and chemicals. The old fashioned way of making a photograph is not machinegunning your camera around and taking 600 so-called photos an hour. In the olde days photography was a very controlled event. Many olde time cameras came without rangefinding equipment so you had to carefully measure the distance to the subject with your eye or a measuring tape. You probably put the camera on a tripid an studied the scene in front of you prior to pressing the shutter. Then most folks would put their camera and film in the mail and send it to Kodak for a new roll of film installed in the camera, prints and negatives from the photos you had shot. Not a speedy process. I have moved from 36 exposures to 12 (a Rolleiflex) and will make my own film or film plates if things come to that. I also am putting together two FrankenGraphic cameras (4x5 and 2 1/4 x3 1/4) and will use paper negatives in them. Later I will try coating my own paper/glass, whatever. I am getting myself into a time warp charging fearlessly into the past and I love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    since its all alternative photography at this point, what do you do?
    Shooting B&W films only, and printing on FB 30x40cm, and RC from 10x15cm to 20x30cm. For me until you don't hold print in the hands - job is not done.

Liquid emulsion and Lith print as well.

Plan for near future: wet plates 6x9cm in box camera, get 4x5 large format camera if I will like the wet plate work flow. Also planing to learn to make my own liquid emulsion because it is very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use ready-made materials; film and regular old silver gelatin papers and manufactured chemistry, but have dabbled with palladium and would love to do more, if I had the time.

I find the notion of a daguerrotype really intriguing, I think that would be my next step into what we consider the alt world.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would love to get into four color process carbon printing. Since the process I envision (printing relatively large format) would require digital-based color separations, its the ultimate "hybrid" approach!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin