Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,823   Online: 986

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using very dilute one shot fixer solutions for fibre base paper processing

Previously I've used the traditional 2-bath 1+9 dilution approach for fibre base printing for the most part. Reviewing more recent ILFORD pdfs I see they're still recommending their 1+4 single bath fix for printing; however at a capacity of 10sh 8"x10" per litre this means a lot of fix used per print due to silver accumulation rather than fixer capacity; although I understand the ILFORD sequence is partly based around the idea that a shorter contact time means less fixer to wash out of the paper, in conjunction with a clearing bath.

The HYPAM documentation (which should hold for other rapid fixers of similar type) appears to give a fixer capacity of 5ml per 8"x10" FB sheet. Multiplied to a working solution this would suggest 1+199 dilution, i.e. 5ml fix concentrate + 995ml water. Obviously this technique has greater practical application for making larger prints with a single tray method, e.g. 20"x24", or 30ml fix + 1970ml water.

I've read references on APUG from 5 years ago, some associated with my own postings on fixers but nothing more recent. Is anyone here familiar with using fixers at high dilution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, you must be referring to dancqu posts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Yes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, in my experience this does not work. And, with paper, it is hard to estimate fix times unless you use a set of test kits.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Almost a founder member but if I am searching correctly nothing from him since April 2011. Doesn't see that long ago but maybe it is. I wonder what happened? Always a bit worrying when early joiners(2002 in his case) disappear

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Almost a founder member but if I am searching correctly nothing from him since April 2011. Doesn't see that long ago but maybe it is. I wonder what happened? Always a bit worrying when early joiners(2002 in his case) disappear

pentaxuser
    I have asked myself the same question. Dancqu's point of view was rather unique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tom, in my experience this does not work. And, with paper, it is hard to estimate fix times unless you use a set of test kits.

PE
    That is my suspicion as well. Do you have any comment on the ILFORD suggested 1+4 dilution fix single bath sequence with short wash - HCA - short wash?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot make any suggestions on this Tom. Conditions (and opinions) vary so much all over the world that it is hard to make a viable comment.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin