Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,349   Online: 778

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst job EVER!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Worst job EVER!

I've been shooting film for decades and have always done a great job developing film. I had just changed the light traps on my Hasselblad backs for the first time ever and had to test them out. I went to Yosemite and decided to take a panorama with the Gigapan using film. So I shot 12 photos, went to reload the film back...uh...only ONE roll of 100 ISO film and I just used it. I had 400 ISO but decided I didn't want to see the grain. So one roll was all I shot.

I brought it home, developed it and was mortified at what I developed. The light trap, for one, didn't work. There were light leaks everywhere. I need to redo it correctly (thank goodness I only shot one roll). I didn't tap the developing tank hard enough to release the air bubbles because there were tons of it. The development looked very uneven, though that could have been caused by the light leak. Worse of all it looked like I didn't use Photo-flo properly, if that's possible, as there were water marks everywhere. It was just a mess. All I could do was laugh at the results.

I'm going to post my most embarrassing moment because I want people who are just learning to know that even with decades of experience developing film that it's still possible to screw up a roll of film. Also goes to show that things happen for a reason. If I had more than one roll of ISO 100 film I would have ruined them all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfdomemessup_595.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	90081

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think I've ever messed up a roll of film, but I likely always, unknowingly, still say some kind of unconscious silent prayer sometime during loading or development – and then thank the film gods after proofing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez, I'm always messing things up. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I don't think I've ever messed up a roll of film, but I likely always, unknowingly, still say some kind of unconscious silent prayer sometime during loading or development – and then thank the film gods after proofing!
    I usually do the same but this time my prayers weren't answered. Hahah. It was so disappointing when saw the little "streaks" in the corner from the poor light trap install I did, but when I proofed the negatives I was like "what the heck?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP should fire the person with badly installed the light traps and never talk to him again!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The OP should fire the person with badly installed the light traps and never talk to him again!
    NOOOO, I don't want to fire him or nothing will ever get done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Would you please put you location?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm

Mistooks

You gotta make all the mistooks -- and, many times, more than once.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That is one well-screwed pooch. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound they say. Hopefully this means you got all your bad mojo over and done with on this roll and you won't have any more problems for a very long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting. There's an old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket . . . or was that putting all your ducks in the one sock? If you had exposed 12 "sheets" of film, what are the chances of having the same problem occur 12 times in a row? Shooting sheet film does have it's benefits. The benefit really shines when each sheet can be developed individually. I recall on a number of occasions, and different roll-film cameras, having accomplished every task flawlessly from composition, exposure to development. Then to find a nice scratch on the film that runs end to end, through the middle of every frame. Oh! That just makes me want to dance. And the occasional light leak can be frustrating. I've been there may times. I replaced the seals on the RZ67 holder recently. It took three test rolls to determine and eliminate all the leaks.
    Last edited by DannL.; 06-23-2014 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x7cm and 6X4.5cm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin