Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,919   Online: 995

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which developers have you been testing for cold tone, Tom?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harman should consider re-introducing the Cooltone developer and bundling it in a promotional package with the new Cooltone FB paper.

I'll buy it for the Cooltone RC paper.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    From extensive testing, there is no other paper developer I'm aware of that gives the same results as Harman Cooltone; they must be using some proprietary technique or chemical.

Tom
    You might want to try Moersch SE3 (which cools neutral and warm papers) or SE6 which is cooler still - blue-black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The return of the Cooltone developer was discussed here before. Simon was a big fan himself. He presented it up the line but it was decided that it wasn't practical to bring back - not enough market.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I get a wonderful cold tone on Cooltone by using amidol developer with benzotriazole restrainer, then gold toning afterwards, with selenium optional, depending. The only serious problem I'm having at the moment is with the Chinese amidol being distributed by the usual suspects. It seems to have some metallic contamination and needs to be very well filtered for use. The odd orange stain will wash out. Otherwise, the image color is excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drew, I just got a nice order of English Amidol from Artcraft. Maybe check that out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Gold toner as others have stated is your best bet. Not cheap though. Another alternative would be to use a dilute blue toner and a short bath.

The coldest tone I ever got from a paper straight out of the developer was Forte VC with one of the odd versions of Neutol, I think it was Plus. So cold my prints had icicles! They looked like they were gold toned. Sadly, neither the paper nor the developer are available any more.

The other thing to mention is to make sure you are looking at your prints under an appropriate light. If you are using incandescent, they may look a little warm even if they are cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two restrainers potassium bromide and benzotriazole can be used to adjust the print tone. Adding bromide to the developer warms the tone while benzotriazole cools it. What I personally find most attractive is a pure neutral black.

There is an optical illusion caused by the eye and how it focuses different colors. When a print image is warm it seems to float above the paper and when it is cool it appears to be under the paper surface. When the image is too cool this effect can give the print an unattractive veiled appearance. Japanese sumi painters take advantage of this illusion by using two different types of charcoal to make ink; one slightly brown and one slightly blue.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Gold is very much an "archival" toner.
    OK. All y'all should not take my advice on the respective properties of toners. Read the Tim Rudman book instead.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Harman should consider re-introducing the Cooltone developer and bundling it in a promotional package with the new Cooltone FB paper.
    +1000!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin