Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,432   Posts: 1,596,855   Online: 1201
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I may be wrong but I think that this has been asked of Ilford in the past and Simon's reply was that part of the formula is either a commercial secret or has an ingredient that would not be available to DIYers

    Others may be able to confirm or deny my recall

    pentaxuser
    Yes it was discussed before. Lots of us said we'd buy it. I think I said two bottles - I don't get to print nearly as much as I'd like. They looked at it but the market wasn't enough.

  2. #32
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,104
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yes it was discussed before. Lots of us said we'd buy it. I think I said two bottles - I don't get to print nearly as much as I'd like. They looked at it but the market wasn't enough.
    But isn't the question now whether the introduction of the new FB cool tone papers may have changed that market?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #33
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    But isn't the question now whether the introduction of the new FB cool tone papers may have changed that market?
    Good point!

    Ra ra, go CT Developer!

    Oh Simon, paging Simon...

  4. #34
    brian steinberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    2,389
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    100
    I really hope Simon and Ilford will reconsider relaunching cool tone developer.

    At least in special order batches ??

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,206
    Kodak Blue-Black Developer

    Elon 2.0 g
    Sodium sulfite anhydrous 25.0 g
    Hydroquinone 6.0 g
    Sodium carbonate anhydrous 35.0 g
    Potassium bromide 0.5 g
    Benzotriazole 1% 10 ml
    Water to make 1.0

    Use full strength.

    Kodak D-158

    Elon 3.0 g
    Sodium sulfite anhydrous 50.0 g
    Hydroquinone 12.5 g
    Sodium carbonate anhydrous 70.0 g
    Potassium bromide 0.9 g
    Water to make 1.0 l

    Dilute 1+1.

    Also Ilford ID-36.

    There are many other cold tone developers. Just mix your own. Elon is Kodak's tradename for Metol.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,918
    Michael R is spot on, a component in CT Dev was made 'in house' in our Kilo lab ( where we make specialist / hard to find / no longer made / or prohibitively expensive or available commercially in unsustainable volumes for our business.

    As you know I did request the product to be re-introduced but this was clearly rejected by the board due to the minimum manufactured volumes versus the write off sustained on the original manufacture.

    Very sorry.

    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

  7. #37
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Michael R is spot on, a component in CT Dev was made 'in house' in our Kilo lab ( where we make specialist / hard to find / no longer made / or prohibitively expensive or available commercially in unsustainable volumes for our business.

    As you know I did request the product to be re-introduced but this was clearly rejected by the board due to the minimum manufactured volumes versus the write off sustained on the original manufacture.

    Very sorry.

    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Butbut...you didn't have CT FB paper then. It would be a great companion product!

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,894
    Gerald - those MQ-ish cold tone developers you list will still end up a tad warmish with Cooltone. They'd work with Polygrade V, but not in this
    case. I'm not implying the results will be unacceptable, but definitely not as cold as this paper gets. Maybe some PQ tweak would do better;
    but amidol is the actual silver bullet.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Norfolk, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,914
    Images
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Gerald - those MQ-ish cold tone developers you list will still end up a tad warmish with Cooltone. They'd work with Polygrade V, but not in this
    case. I'm not implying the results will be unacceptable, but definitely not as cold as this paper gets. Maybe some PQ tweak would do better;
    but amidol is the actual silver bullet.
    Printing with the new cold tone fibre base paper for the first time last week, the image didn't seem particularly cold with D-72. My experience is that the BTZS additions don't seem to work with modern papers.

    Tom

  10. #40
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,321
    Amidol is expensive and stains anything it comes near. Any other recommendations?


    Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin