Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,739   Online: 966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30yo film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is a great site. I'm glad to see such good results from old film. I recently aquired 25 sheets of 4x5 Tech Pan which is about 25 years old. Now I think I'll play around with it.
    The questions is what developer to use. I picked up about 12 packs of the powder Technol developer for 25 cents a box at a close out sale. I heard somewhere to use the powder only for 35mm Tech pan and not for Roll film. Also I do have a few packs of the liquid version and I assume thats the one to use for the 4x5. Has anyone tried to use the power with roll or sheet film. Does anyone know why they don't recommend the powder for 120 or sheet?
    Lastly I know that if you're not careful with this stuff your film will be extremely cointrasty. Any suggestions for getting the gray value up?

Thanks

Images
    Good Evening, ecarme,

Perhaps your first consideration should be the subject matter you use the film on. If you're planning general pictorial use, you will have to keep Tech Pan's contrasty character in mind. Does ancient Tech Pan suffer the contrast loss of other films? Don't know, but suspect that, as a very slow film, it might not lose as much contrast as standard films. I'd run a couple of sheets as test shots, perhaps using multiple exposures on a single sheet by removing the dark slide in three or four steps. Try the cheap Technidol and see what happens, then proceed accordingly.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tech Pan in Rodinal

Welcome to the site, ecarme!

Here is an image my father made when he was in the Alsace region last year. Shot with TechPan developed in Rodinal. I don't know which time he used. I do know that he had that roll of Tech Pan lying around for a long time, though, so I don't think the age of your film will be a problem, especially since it's a slow film.

Hope this helps,

- Thom

PS. I've tried getting my pops to join the site, but he claims he's too busy. Priorities, priorities... He granted permission to use the image, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ecarme
    This is a great site. I'm glad to see such good results from old film. I recently aquired 25 sheets of 4x5 Tech Pan which is about 25 years old. Now I think I'll play around with it.
    The questions is what developer to use. I picked up about 12 packs of the powder Technol developer for 25 cents a box at a close out sale. I heard somewhere to use the powder only for 35mm Tech pan and not for Roll film. Also I do have a few packs of the liquid version and I assume thats the one to use for the 4x5. Has anyone tried to use the power with roll or sheet film. Does anyone know why they don't recommend the powder for 120 or sheet?
    Lastly I know that if you're not careful with this stuff your film will be extremely cointrasty. Any suggestions for getting the gray value up?

Thanks
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin