Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,446   Online: 985

Shooter
    35mm

Tri-X with Acufine and other developers.

Hi,
    I never used Tri-X before, my main 400 film was Neopan 400, after the discontinuation i switched to HP5+, as it was quite cheap ($50 for 100 feet).
    HP5+ was never as good as Neopan, too gray in midtones for me, and moderate when pushed with Microphen. As HP5+ roll finished i tried a Tri-X with Acufine at ISO 1000. It was way better than Neopan with Microphen, and much better than an HP5+, the grain was as it was Agfa APX100.

Is it a Tri-X was that good or it's beacuse of Acufine developer? What is the best high acutance developer to use at ISO 400?

Here are some shots made after sunset at ISO 1000 (click for fullres)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, those shots look very similar to what I got the last time I used Tri-X in Acufine (even though I had shot mine at box speed or 250, I can't remember which). It's a really good combination, not that critical on ISO, and really, a lot better developer than most people are aware of. My preference is the tonality of stuff like D76, but I could get by w/ just Acufine quite nicely. If you shoot it at lower ISO the grain will get a lot less noticeable.

And yes, Tri-X IS that good.
    Last edited by momus; 07-16-2014 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a classic combination. I use it often.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tri-X really is a excellent film, and if it was to end production, it would be a bigger blow in my options then even loosing Kodachrome.

Also, Lovely lovely skintones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bruce Robbins at "The Online Darkroom" blog has turned me on to Tri-X 400 with SPUR Acurol-N. The combination has resulted in excellent negs that are easy to print.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all comments.

doughowk

will try Acurol-N soon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin