Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,301   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Need dilution adjustment HELP

I mixed a working batch of fixer-the last in the bottle-and stupidly mixed it 1:4 when I should have mixed it 1:11. It is 1 liter of solution. How do I get it to 1:9? It is all the fixer I had left so remixing is not an option and it was my last empty bottle. I now have fixer for film but want fixer for POP.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 1 litre you have now is 1:4. So that's

200ml fixer
    800ml water.

Or 20% fixer concentrate.

You want 1:9 or 10% concentrate.

1/2 litre of the 1:4 mixed with 1/2 litre of water. Will give you

100ml of fixer concentrate
    900ml of water.

I think that's right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I understand what you've done (mixed 250ml of fix with 750ml of water) wouldn't you just add 1500ml of water to get to 1:9? I'm no math wizard, so I could be wholly wrong. But then again, unless POP is much different than silver gelatin paper, it's just fixer - I wouldn't think the dilution would need to be exact.
    juan

He wants 1;11, not 1:9.

200 ml stock now in 1 liter. Use 1/2 which is 500 ml containing 100 ml stock. You already have 400 ml of water and want 1100. Add 700 ml more water to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec
    He wants 1;11, not 1:9.
    If you read it again he said he had meant to mix 1:11 but then he says he now wants 1:9

He knows best :-)

But POP should be fixed in a plain Hypo solution not commercial fixer which will bleach the image extremely rapidly

Images
    Yes I want 1:11

Plain hypo is best but regular fixer diluted way way down does a good job too. At least from what I have seen.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    But POP should be fixed in a plain Hypo solution not commercial fixer which will bleach the image extremely rapidly
    You're right there - I use commercial rapid fixer diluted 1+50 from working strength if the highlights are grubby! Any stronger than that and the bleaching action is too rapid and difficult to control, and tends to get blotchy.

Mark: If you want fixer for POP, try to get hold of "plain hypo", AKA sodium thiosulfate. Commercial fixers tend to contain too much other stuff, worst of all is ammonium. Bleaches your nice print right back to paper white!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    You're right there - I use commercial rapid fixer
    diluted 1+50 from working strength ...
    " ... from working strength ... " That would be 1:250 or
    1:500? Either way that's more dilute than the 1:49 I use as
    a one-shot with prints; P. Formulary's, nothing added. Dan

Images
    I gave up. I will be pilfering some sodium thiosulfate from a kalitype kit and I will be ordering a big bunch because I hate running out and doing stupid things like this. Plus I will be doing things the way they are supposed to be done, instead of trying to cut corners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I gave up.
    You gave up your dilution. You stopped at 1:4.
    Finish the dilution. Add more water; 7 volumes
    more of the amount of concentrate you
    started with. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin