Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,761   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pete,
    Neofin blue is on my "gotta try" list. Thanks for the pointer. And, as for the diversion... aren't conversations better when they wander a bit?
    Whitey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete H
    The film's definitely worth persevering with, despite its vulnerability to scratches and the vicious curl on the 120 format (maybe that's the origin of my loading problem ???).
    Huh. I find that Efke (r50 at least) is less curly than the Forte stuff I use. That stuff is curly enough to attack you when you pull it out of the sleeve.

I have never had loading problems with Forte.

allan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One really nice thing about Efke (and FOMA) is that I can load it in my Kiev 60 120 and it gives precise frame spacing. Guess it was designed for these 120 films to begin with.
    I have found JandC to be one of the most customer oriented and just plain nice retailers on the web. Thanks to them for making all this wonderful stuff available.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty71
    One really nice thing about Efke (and FOMA) is that I can load it in my Kiev 60 120 and it gives precise frame spacing. Guess it was designed for these 120 films to begin with.
    I have found JandC to be one of the most customer oriented and just plain nice retailers on the web. Thanks to them for making all this wonderful stuff available.
    Well, more likely it was designed for film of a particular thickness for film and backing -- some cameras, rather than using a toothed roller that measures the film travel directly, advance by turning the takeup spindle a set number of degrees, and compensate for the increasing radius as film winds onto the spool by reducing the number of degrees for each successive frame. If the film is thinner than what they were originally designed to use, the spacing will get closer and closer as you work through the roll (even to the point of overlapping frames). My Minolta 16 II does this, but I've read that some 120 cameras and film backs work the same way -- in some ways, it's simpler than a toothed roller, and there's much less chance of damaging the image area of the film.

This is relevant mainly because Kodak and Ilford films are on thinner base than they used to be. Foma and Efke are probably thin base now, too, but their backing paper is thicker, which compensates.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin