Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Rotary

If I may be so kind to help out a little: Gari why don't you start off with some traditional film like Tri-x or Apx-100 or HP-5. These films are Uber-easy to develop and you have to go out of your way to screw up. All the above suggestions above are to be taken seriously. Enough developer in the tank, a pre-wash regardless of what the mfg. says, more than 5 minutes dev. time. I've only used Xtol previous to today(with excellant results) but this morning I developed some Apx-100 in a patterson tank on a beseler motor with pyrocat-hd@2:2:100 and even though I made up the dev. time by just guessing; the negs. look darn good to me. I've never seen streaking in traditional developers. Give something like XTOL a try as it is a very forgiving developer at 1:2 or 1:3. You just might like it. If you want to use a higher temp. than just reduce the initial time by about 20%.
    Regards, Peter

Images
    I've had the marks of which you write with some of my tank processing. I use HP5+, Jobo 3000 series tank, 12 rpm, and PMK. PMK is twitchy: very sensitive to presoak. I think it demonstrates the worst streaking to initial wetting that I've seen. Presoak is a must and it was best to put the film into a full tank of water or to presoak the film in a tray. Adding liquid to dry film in a moving tank was impossible. YMMV. Good luck.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gari
    I am in fact new to proccessing film, but have done some reading and looked through the forums etc to get an idea of where to start.
    I have sorted the bottom of the tray with some silicon, the guy that sold me the unit suggested I do so. I don't have the moter so it is all intermittent agitation. I am using MacoUP100 film with LP Supergrain mixed as per sheet that came with the developer,1-7, 3.5 mins@20dg, agitate 30 secs.
    I have not tried extending dev time after pre-soak, 15% you think?
    Gari
    How do you do intermittent with rotary? If it's a drum the fluid needs to be spinning. No?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in fact new to proccessing film, but have done some reading and looked through the forums etc to get an idea of where to start.
    I have sorted the bottom of the tray with some silicon, the guy that sold me the unit suggested I do so. I don't have the moter so it is all intermittent agitation. I am using MacoUP100 film with LP Supergrain mixed as per sheet that came with the developer,1-7, 3.5 mins@20dg, agitate 30 secs.
    I have not tried extending dev time after pre-soak, 15% you think?
    Gari
    Using the film maker's intermittent time with a 5 min pre-soak is a Jobo recommendation for use with their rotary processors (continuous agitation).

In your case, as the film is sitting horizontally in the processor (it's not a rotary processor folks - it sounds like the Paterson ORBITAL print processor) so I would strongly suggest you do not try intermittent agitation - exhausted developer will not move away from the surface of the film while it is stationary as it would if the film was vertical, causing streaking, blotches and underdevelopment... Use continuous agitation - IIRC, you rock the thing on its base if you do not have the motor drive. Gently does it - no need to slosh it around at speed.... much the same as a tray of paper but rock it in all directions.

3.5 mins seems quite short so I looked it up: according to this (http://www.retrophotographic.com/PDF...ch%20Notes.pdf) PDF file, dev time is 5 mins for UP100 in 1+7 LP-Supergrain (intermittent agitation) which sounds more reasonable (although I note that Supergrain seems to be a compensating formulae so times should not be too critical).

I would agree that by using a slightly obscure combination of developer and film for your 1st try you are not making life easy for yourself... but I am fairly sure that with a 5 min pre-soak, 5 min continuous agitation development, 1 minute stop & 4 minute film strength fix, things will improve ("Famous Last Words", Vol. 18, page 2143).... I suspect your biggest problem is that you are not keeping the developer moving.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone, I shall try a constant agitation, as for the dev timing I was going by the chart that came with the dev itself! not an unreasonable assumption I would think. I live in the back of beyond so online is the only way to get this stuff, retrophotographic being the website I fetched up on as it were. I bought the Maco stuff as I figured a film/dev from the same company would work as per instructions without too much hassle, guess not eh.
    just need to find a use for these sheets of dodgy film!!!
    Gari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, I shall try a constant agitation, as for the dev timing I was going by the chart that came with the dev itself! not an unreasonable assumption I would think. I live in the back of beyond so online is the only way to get this stuff, retrophotographic being the website I fetched up on as it were. I bought the Maco stuff as I figured a film/dev from the same company would work as per instructions without too much hassle, guess not eh.
    just need to find a use for these sheets of dodgy film!!!
    Gari
    Not an unreasonable assumption at all if it was Ilford or Kodak film & developer, but Maco? hmmmmm - already between us we have found two different times, both from Maco... (plus the Massive Dev Chart says 5 mins)

But as I say, I think your main problem is the agitation. We shall see... Good luck!

Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    How do you do intermittent with rotary? If it's a drum
    the fluid needs to be spinning. No?
    Well now, A good question! I was for a while intrigued
    with rotary processing and entertained thoughts of purchasing
    one of the Jobos. As time went by my reading of the work and
    problems attendent upon the use of such a device cooled
    my interest. The Jobo's final death blow was it's
    limited solution capacity. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    The Jobo's final death blow was it's
    limited solution capacity. Dan

That part is easy. Use the tanks on a motorbase. Works just fine and you avoid any issues with weak motors. I bet worst case some one could even cobble together a home grown motorbase. The only downside is the things can't handle the really small tanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin