Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,894   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

rotary proccessor

Can anyone help me, I am just starting with developing B&W sheets and after advice bought a used Paterson rotary proccessor from a dealer. I have done about 20 sheets now and have had a real unrewarding experience so far.
    I have maybe 2 sheets I could use, the rest are, streaked, have blotches like maybe you would get if a "lump" of developer sat on the film, strange marks like contours on a map down one side.
    I am being very anal re timings,temp and handling and can't understand what is wrong, has anyone had probs with this bit of kit? maybe someone can offer some suggestions "cos I am on the verge of going back to color as I wanted the "whole" creative bag with the B&W, don't fancy only getting to do half the gig.
    Gari

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Gari

Patience is the key here, when I swithced to rotary , I had problems and it takes awhile to sort them out. Getting the developer into the drum quickly was a key for me as well with certain processes a pre soak was also needed.
    Remember that if the chemicals go in slow and splatter about it will show in your end result.

Images
    I haven't used that particular set up but from using the Jobo I can only think that you may possibly be using too small a quantity of chemistry. If that isn't it, I have found that using a pre-soak step has helped me get more even developing results with rollfilm.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys, I did wonder if the speed of the filling was an issue, guess so eh.
    the manual says 100ml is the standard but I am currently using 300ml, just about as much as the thing can take without getting my feet wet!!
    I have also tried a presoak but found that the negs came out even more streaked and very thin to boot.
    I shall go shoot a couple more sheets and try again, the bath is warming as we speak?mail!
    thanks again
    Gari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using enough stock developer to handle the amount of film area? 300ml of 1+100 Rodinal for example will not be sufficient to develop a single 4x5" sheet.

Is this the Paterson orbital processor (one of these)? If so this was intended for paper and you need to put a few dabs of silicon sealer on the bottom to allow chemicals to get under the film. I suspect using more chemicals than intended will not help as it will then not flow cleanly over the surface.

A few other thoughts: make sure the tank is level using a spirit level. If it is a manual rotation base try reversing direction every 15 seconds or so; if motorized, lift it off and switch it around every minute. Development time should be around 85% of the film manufacturer's time for that particular developer compared to their intermittent agitation times (i.e. continuous agitation requires less time than intermittent agitation). A presoak normally means you need to increase dev time to the same as that given for intermittent agitation (hence the even thinner negatives if you did not increase dev time).

What film & developer (dilution + temperature + time) are you using? Have you had good results with intermittent agitation (or is this your first time developing anything yourself)?

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds strange. Ive done thousands of films and prints in the JOBO, and streaking has NOT been a problem...

But, WAIT!!! A thought ... A wet tank WILL leave streaks, randomly and more pronounced with color paper. Are you taking necessary precautions ... I regularly rotate two tanks. While one is air drying, I use the other.

Drying a tank is not a major problem. I use a "high-tech" wad of paper towels ... Bounty, I believe, for all those perfectionists here. Wipe out the inside of the tank, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before loading it again.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the Paterson, but I do a lot of B&W and color film processing in a Unidrum with no major difficulties. As Bob pointed out, you might not have enough "stock in the soup" if you're using a diluted developer.

As for presoaks, some films respond better than others, as do some developers. I'm afraid that without knowing what film or developer/dilution you're using, there isn't much more to be said...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am in fact new to proccessing film, but have done some reading and looked through the forums etc to get an idea of where to start.
    I have sorted the bottom of the tray with some silicon, the guy that sold me the unit suggested I do so. I don't have the moter so it is all intermittent agitation. I am using MacoUP100 film with LP Supergrain mixed as per sheet that came with the developer,1-7, 3.5 mins@20dg, agitate 30 secs.
    I have not tried extending dev time after pre-soak, 15% you think?
    Gari

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know about the Patterson, but with the Jobo you normally presoak for about 5 minutes before processing (some Ilford films do not require this). Also, they suggest that you reduce processing time by 15% as a starting point. You may want to check out the FAQs for the Jobo if the Patterson has continuous agitation.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Gari

maybe a small point but I never process film less than 5 min for black and white. colour is another thing but it is at a much higher temp.
    Slow pour technique, with a short time as you are suggesting could be a disastor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin