Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,635   Online: 1174

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use HC-110 both ways (stock solution and direct from concentrate) depending on what I'm doing. Sometimes, in my homemade submini developing tank, I need to mix 60 ml of solution at 1:119, which would be 0.5 ml of syrup -- it's impossible to measure the syrup at better than plus or minus 20% accuracy in this kind of quantity, at least with the equipment I have, so I mixed up 120 ml of stock solution (which used 30 ml of syrup -- easy to measure), and use 2 ml of the stock, which I can measure accurately. For all my other development, I mix direct from concentrate; when I opened the bottle I divided the syrup into four smaller bottles, with only the tiniest of air spaces, and have opened them as needed. The syrup in the last bottle is now well over a year beyond original opening, and works the same as it did when new. The last time I used the stock solution, it was four months past mixing, and (stored in a sealed bottle with perhaps 20% air space) was still fine and had normal activity.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use HC-110 from both the syrup and a stock solution. I think the stock solution approach probably lends itself to greater accuracy for most darkroom workers.

I've also evolved to using a different stock solution than Kodak's recommendation. I first read about this particular method in a workbook published by the Maine Photographic Workshops. This stock solution is mixed 1+9 from the syrup concentrate and so is very easy to mix into other volumes because every 10 units of stock contains one unit of concentrate. So, for example, to mix a quart of dilution B which is 1+31 from the syrup concentrate, I take 10 ounces of 1+9 stock and add 22 ounces of water.

I actually standardized my zone system testing using this stock solution and varying dilution instead of time which I've found to be very convenient. I generally use dilutions which vary by 5 parts water to get different development effects. With this system I take the 1+9 stock and add vary quantities of water in 5-part increments to end up using dilutions like 1+9 (stock), 1+14 (which is dilution A), 1+19 (dilution C), 1+24, 1+29 (which is my standard solution for most films and close to dilution B), 1+34, 1+39 (dilution D) and so on. I try to standardize a development time at 6 minutes with most films.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin