Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,487   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HC-110 - syrup or stock solution

I use HC-110 sometimes and think it is somewhat difficult to measure when it is so syrupish (is that a word???).

Is it recommenable to dilute it (e.g. 1+4) and then make working solutions from that? Or is it NOT recommended. It would certainly be easier to make working solution this way.

My first-choice developer, Rodinal (where you in doubt ), will not respond well to this treatment. But would HC-110?

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, and I think most HC-110 users, work from the syrup as opposed to making a stock solution. Get a syringe from your local drug store or pharmacy to measure the syrup. Draw some water into your syringe, give it a shake then squirt that into your graduate to make sure you get all of the syrup out of the syringe. Finish by adding the suitable amount of water to make your final solution. Solution B is 1:31. The syrup lasts forever while a stock solution has a limited shelf life. Used this way, HC-110 is one of the most economical developers on the market. I keep both HC-110 and Rodinal on hand as my regular developers. I particularly like HC-110 with HP5+.

Regards,

Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The solvent in the "Syrup-like" version of HC-110 is glycerine. Undiluted, the syrup has a very long shelf life.

When you add water to the syrup, the reducing agents will begin to oxidize. How fast they will oxidize, I do not know. Perhaps someone has done some testing?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed. I've used HC-110 for 20-years - always from the syrup. I have a small graduate to measure with - pour in the syrup, add some water, then pour the solution into the larger graduate used for mixing. Follow with more water in the small graduate to be sure you've gotten all of the syrup.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will use the syringe method (which I use with Rodinal already).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had a stock solution of HC110 sit on the shelf in a 1/2 empty container for months at a time, and it still worked as expected. Is this recommended? Probably not, so if you can go from syrup, I would do so.

I can't find a syringe with a big enough tip to make mixing my developer from the syrup easy enough to warrant doing. Then again, I go through a 1 litre container of stock in fairly short order, so I have never had any issues with the stock solution going off...

If it's an issue, mix up a batch of stock and decant it into smaller containers. They would be airtight, so the stock would keep for a few months. Kodak's doc on HC110 (j-24) says that Dil-B stock solution in an air tight contanier will keep for 3 months...I would say this is very conservative, based on prior experience.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for the syringe method, and keeping HC-110 in its syrup-y state. Since I use dilution H (1:63) I draw 15ml into the syringe (or half an ounce) and add it to 31 onces of water. Now, from what I understand the European version of HC-110 is a slightly thinner - less concentrated - syrup, so dilution ratios have to be adjusted accordingly if you do indeed have the Euro HC-110. But to make a long answer short: keep it in its concentrated state and it will keep for a long, long time.

There is another HC-110 thread around here with a link to the HC-110 Unofficial Resource Page, and that's the place for most HC-110 questions.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The concentration of HC110 in Europe is different from the U.S. You may want to check this website for the European dilutions.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'v been using HC-110 for years always mixing it with water from my dehumidafier . I use one of those collapseable bottles to get the air out and it lasts a long time . The mix I'm using now is over a year old.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    The concentration of HC110 in Europe is different from the U.S. You may want to check this website for the European dilutions.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html
    Thanks. I am aware of it already. I use the concentrated syrup, and have never seen the euroHC (strangely enough)

Morten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin