Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 767

Shooter
    Medium Format

Handling and loading infrared film

Hi All,

I've been given some Kodak infrared 5 x 4 sheet film. I've never used IR before and need advice about loading/ handling/ developing. I've got a Jobo drum developer.

I guess one of my main concerns is fogging issues.

Regards

Gerard

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hope you have a 4x5 camera and some sheet film holders to use it with. (I say that mostly because it says you shoot medium format in your profile.)

You will need a changing bag/tent or a darkroom to load the film in film holders. It's important to make sure that your bellows are IR light tight.

When outside with your camera, keep the holders covered from the sun when not shooting. Ideally, you will need a red filter to get the IR effect of dark skies and white leaves/grass. You can use the film without a filter, but I suppose it depends on the effect you are looking for.

For development, see the Massive Development chart at www.digitaltruth.com.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh yes!

I've got an underutilised Toyo 45!

The guy who gave me the IR film mentioned using aluminium foil on the bellows. I'm not sure about how 'light tight' it should be.

Thanks,

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak IR is sensitive well into the infrared and you can even get by with a 25A filter.
    But you will want to try a 29A and an R72 (89B).

IR filter characteristics are at http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/irfilter.htm
    and you can get an idea on the different effects of filters at http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/infr..._of_films.html

I've shot IR through a Wistas, Tachiharas and Speed Graphics with no problem with the bellows leaking IR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to you both for those great links. I can see I have a lot of reading to do.

Gerard

You also need to be cautious with filmholders. Newer Fidelity and Lisco filmholders do not pass IR, but the old Riteways passed IR like a sieve. Film changing tents are problematic, too. Best to load in a darkroom.

Pete Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena
    You also need to be cautious with filmholders. Newer Fidelity and Lisco filmholders do not pass IR, but the old Riteways passed IR like a sieve. Film changing tents are problematic, too. Best to load in a darkroom.

Pete Gomena
    Is that due to the material the Riteways are manufactured from or other reasons?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too have a Toyo 45A, and plan to use it with 5x4 Maco IR film in a around 2 months when there's new green leaves on the trees. Two things concern me, the earlier comment re using tin foil around bellows. I thought that only older leather bellows might pass IR, and that the synthetic material used by Toyo was safe, can anyone confirm this? Most of my film holders are Fidelity Elite and none leak, so they are OK. How safe is the Yankee tank for developing IR film? I know its not well favoured, but I have no problems with it using FP4+.

Steve Bell

Shooter
    Large Format
    The riteways let IR in through the felt light trap when the darkslide comes out. One easy solution (that has been effective for me) is to leave the darkslide partially in rather than completely remove.
    If you want to try this you can mark the darkslide so you know how far to pull it out so that you don't shade some of the film.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve,
    I have a Toyo 45 AII which I use with 4x5 Maco IR film (both types) and it works fine. I don't use anything to cover up the bellows with. In fact, I used my 8x10 Ansco (~1935 vintage (I think ) with new bellows) to shoot some Maco IR in November, right before Thanksgiving. I had no problems, other than the day/time I chose to take the pics. Overcast, sun setting, but I was happy with the results.

I can't recall whether I developed any IR film with the Yankee agitank or not. I boxed mine up since I got the Jobos and haven't used it since then.
    Diane

Halak 41

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin