Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,862   Online: 913

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Eastman Fine Grain Release Positive Film 5302

I inherited a bunch of this film -- several hundred feet, in fact. I know its use is for making positives from negatives, for movie film. However, it also can be used to make tranparencies from b&w negs. Well, I spooled up a couple of rolls, to try it out as a regular negative film. Put a roll in my F4, set the ISO at 32, and shot away. Developed in D-76 at 21°C for 6 minutes under the safelight (the film is orthochromatic, and an orange safelight is fine), and got some real sharp negatives. I haven't seen where anyone has used this as a pictorial film. I'll scan in a good negative and post it here after the film has dried. It certainly deserves a second look as an experimental film.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take back that I had hundreds of feet... maybe a 100 or so. What I did inherit was about 300 feet to Precision Line Film, LPD4. It has been sitting in a fridge for years -- the oldest is dated 1991, and unopened. I see that it is a very slow high-contrast film, ISO of perhaps between 4 and 10, and Kodak stopped producing it last year. The biggest canister is 150 ft. Anyone interested in this?
    Mark O'Brien -

Images
    Good Afternoon, Mark,

I may be completely wrong because I'm thinking back about thirty years. If I recall correctly, I used some of this positive film in roll form (9 1/2 inches wide??) as a way to make positive transparencies for use on an overhead projector. I remember that I bought the stuff from Freestyle and treated it similarly to enlarging paper, with development in Dektol, probably 1:2. It worked fine for that purpose, but was a bit of a pain because of the curl. If you want to make some 35mm positives by copying your negatives, you might try a similar approach to developing.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks -- I knew I could do that, I just wondered if anyone has experimented with the FGP as a regular pictorial film -- it would render skies the way the old ortho films did. It's fun trying something out and just seeing what the heck results. Kodalith as a pictorial film, for example -- develop in Dektol for the grays. Obviously, suited for landscapes and still lifes, as it's pretty darn slow.
    Mark O'Brien -

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin