Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,924   Online: 1090

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford Ilfotec DD-X shelf life

I was wondering if there's anyone who has experiences of how long can the shelf life of Ilford Ilfotec DD-X concentrate be, stored in a glass jar (250ml) filled to the top and air-displaced with buthane/propane. I'm asking this 'cause I've stored mine more than 6 months this way and there isn't any change in color whatsoever! Can I trust the color of the solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is about that age in the plastic bottle, not full to the brim and it works fine.

When in doubt prepare the working solution and drop an epxosed leader, check that it turns black in about 1/5 of the time you expect to develop and off you go
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent tip, titrisol!

I've been wondering how to check whether a liquid film dev is still ok before immersing my masterpieces (ROTFL!) in it. With paper dev you can always throw it out, mix up fresh and do it again, but if you louse up film then that's your lot!

On Delta 100 I've moved over to Rodinal which sort of eliminates the problem for a few decades(!), but Delta 400 I still soup in DD-X so this advice will be very useful!

Many thanks.

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a opened, partially used bottles of DD-X concentrate last for 6 months to a year without problems.

Frank - as to the long life of Rodinal, I might limit the number of decades a bit. I recently came across several bottles of Rodinal (glass bottles with the rubber stoppers intended for hypodermic piercing) that I had purchased back in the late '60s. All were bad. (sniff, sniff, sob)
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    I've had a opened, partially used bottles of DD-X concentrate last for 6 months to a year without problems.

Frank - as to the long life of Rodinal, I might limit the number of decades a bit. I recently came across several bottles of Rodinal (glass bottles with the rubber stoppers intended for hypodermic piercing) that I had purchased back in the late '60s. All were bad. (sniff, sniff, sob)
    OT I use Kodak D 76 all the time :
    I mix up the 5 litre batch and I fill up 25 Brown Glass cough mixture bottles which have plastic screw-on lids (and plastic seals inside the lids ) till the developer overflows. I date the bottles with paper labels , the remainder of the batch is stored also in larger brown glass bottles.
    I get over twelve months out of my developer; Each year I discard what is left and mix up another 5 litres. I ALWAYS use one + one and dump.
    ** I am sure this method will work with all developers, You MUST keep all the air out. ... Cheers Barrie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Fair enough, Ralph. However, as I bought mine last year, I think I should be okay for a while yet!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin