Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,922   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Shooting film expired in 1975--Would you? And how would you?

I have 3 rolls of old film, all expired in 1975, and we'll assume they have not been store in even remotely decent conditions.

Kodak Panatomic-X, 20 exposure, 32 ASA
    Kodak Plus-X pan, 20 exp, 125 ASA
    Kodak Tri-X Pan, 20 exp, 400 ASA

I'm most curious about the Panatomic 32. How would you shoot this to guesstimate the best results? I'm honestly not expecting much, but it would be fun to experiment. Lowest ASA setting is 25 on everything I own, or has no ASA setting. My immediate body choices are Minolta HiMatic 7sII, Graflex Graphic 35, Zeiss Contaflex, Rollei 35 (and 1 of 3), and a variety of more modern SLRs. I'd like to try it in the Graflex, but wouldn't know how slow below box speed to shoot it. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard HC110 B is good for cutting through fog on old films, but I've never tried it.
    Rodinal Stand is always good for times you don't know the correct ei, low contrast and wide range means you'll get at least something, but probably foggier than with HC.
    '1 stop per decade' (ie, overexposure) is also apparently a good rule of thumb (but it's a monday morning and I can't remember if that's for c41 or b+w).
    I've got a roll of Panatomic from the 70s, and a whole bunch of sheets from the 40s and 50s too, but I haven't shot them yet, so I'm all up for other people's suggestions too.

Meanwhile, I shot a roll of 1979 FP4 (non plus) yesterday, at ei50. If I'd gotten home earlier I could have devved it and shared results, maybe tonight when I get home I can.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you've got a few more years on yours, but I just shot some Panatomic-X dated December 1988 and got surprisingly good images (I'll be shooting more on Thursday in my C-3 for Argus Day). As far as I know, this Pan-X (from a 100 foot bulk roll) was just laying around in someone's basement or darkroom. I developed it 9 minutes in HC110 1+63, and though I metered at 32 and bracketed exposures slightly, all seemed pretty good. I think it's a safe bet the higher the film speed, the sooner/more deeply the film degrades. About three years back I developed a roll of 120 PX125 that had actually been exposed circa 1981 and got images. There was a lot of base density and some funky grain, but there were recognizable, maybe even printable images (I only sc@nned them). It's worth a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll be just fine! Use Xtol either Stock or 1+1 it really helps.

I shot some Verichrome Pan that expired in 1969 with excellent results in Xtol.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have HC-110, and was thinking of doing a stand of 45 mins with dilution H (1:63).

As for shooting it, should I go over by one stop, or should I just use it at 32 ASA straight?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shooting with my 1957 vintage Argus C-3 and I confess to not having measured any shutter speeds on it. So I suppose it could be a bit slow and maybe I gave more exposure than I think I did. It also uses the old 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 (and 1/300) shutter speed sequence which needs a fudge from my normal metering. I would suggest doing what I did, bracket at least a few of the exposures a bit, but based on my sample of one 27 YO roll I'd think a stop would be plenty.

I've never played with stand development, but that roll I shot last week was developed 9 minutes at 68ºF in HC110 Dil H, five fairly quick inversions every minute, constant inversions for the first 30 seconds. I might bump that up to 10 minutes next, but to me 45 minutes sounds like a long time, however as I say, never tried stand. I haven't and may never print them for the last word; I usually just scan and put them on the web unless I'm aiming at a show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    I have HC-110, and was thinking of doing a stand of 45 mins with dilution H (1:63).

As for shooting it, should I go over by one stop, or should I just use it at 32 ASA straight?
    For old films I would avoid long developing - better use dilution B and short developing times. In that way you will reduce the fog.
    Fresh films I develop usually in semi stand technique for 45-60 min, but old expired one - better not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you have ansco 130 use that
    70 -72 degrees
    1:6 for about 6 mins as a starting point.

give your film 3 stops over exposure
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-11-2014 at 05:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would shoot any and all of the film, with my camera just like any other film. By that, I mean you have to do a personal ISO test before shooting anything important to you.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the best luck so far with some 50 year old film using hc110 dil. a at 55°f. I don't remember the time but I also added 30ml of benzoatriole (spelling?) per liter.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin