Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpotPen Kit

Shooter
    35mm

SpotPen Kit

Any one use or experimented with SpotPen kit? Saw it on http://www.thephotoshop.ie/ and thought that coud be a nice kit to have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a set once but didn't like them because I prefer a dry-brush technique for spotting. Just my personal two cents.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a set sitting on the shelf - I have used them on a couple of occasions, but found it difficult to "do" the small specs of dust. The tip is not particularly fine and the colours do not suit toned prints at all well.

I have since picked up an assortment of Spotone dyes and a pad of Kodak Velox tints. Diluting one or more of these and applying with a very fine brush gives me a good colour match and control for just about any print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others, I found them a bit difficult to use, though I didn't have a problem matching tones, they just seemed to put too much ink down. That said, with some practice, I got better at using them, but still prefer Spotone with a tiny brush.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think they are the cat's meow. Start light and work up. There are kits of different warmth. I thought they were discontinued.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few sets of them, but still spot with a dry brush. The pens often left a halo around the area I was spotting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I infinitely prefer them to spotting with a brush. They make life so much easier - just pick a pen with a tone one step lighter than you think you need, and try it. If it's too light, bump one up. If it's too dark, a damp q-tip will remove it easily.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are my preferred method. What I really work at is making prints without spots in the first place.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. My problem with brushes is big incompetence in using them, so the pens did look an attractive solution. David, my enlarger is a spotty one, I already tried to unspot him, but he didn't like so...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I dislike them intensely. Give me a good 00000 brush and watercolors anytime.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin