Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,670   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Muppet Photography

I need some help with a film I shot at the wrong ISO. The film in question is Ilford HP5 and the ISO is 400. Trouble was that I had already shot off a colour reel at 200 and I thought I changed it (sorry I didn't mention that I am using a Nikon FM2) but half way through the shoot I noticed it was still on 200.

Normally, I would say c'est la vie and put it down to experience but I know that there are some decent pics on this reel and I know I can rescue the film.
    I will be using Ilfotec LC29 developer but I am not sure how I can pull the film back. Any offers of help would be much appreciated and hopefully will lead me to post some pics that I have developed. By the way I am new to this game and I have just started my last course in a City and Guilds program and I really want to do really well. I love this site and all the ideas and help other users give each other.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I understand correctly, the film is only one stop over exposed. HP-5 can easily handle this. You could develop as normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem. Just develop as usual - one stop extra exposure is gong to have little effect in B&W - should give you slightly better shadow detail if anything. Many people will rate HP5+ at ISO 200 all the time (I rate it at 320 FWIW).

As always with these things, YMMV, but I would just ignore the extra exposure and concentrate on suiting the development time to the contrast of the important scenes (erring on the short side).

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford recommends using perceptol stock solution for a pull to 250. 13 minutes at 68 degrees.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you pull it, you'l get lower contrast. I would just develop as normal unless there were scenes with extreme contrast. In that case I would probably expose it at 200 anyway, and use a compensating developer.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always shoot HP5+ at 200ASA and develop as normal with no problems. I develop in Rodinal at 68 degrees with a dilution of 1+50 for 15 minutes agitating for the first minute and then agitating for 5 seconds every 30 seconds.Look in my gallery to see the results. (Snooowmaaan, The Leap, The Treasure Hunter, Pattern 4)
    Last edited by Andy K; 03-02-2005 at 03:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks guys I hope to showing some pictures soon!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't sweat it...unless you've ever done a threshold exposure test with your camera and HP5...you may be a lot closer to the actual EI than you think...Do what everyone else suggests and dev it normally and pass those City & Guilds...whatever they are?!

stink

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A link to the City and Guilds site

http://www.city-and-guilds.co.uk/ser...chema=PORTAL30

City and Guilds qualifications are highly recognised in the UK and have been for decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just had a look and it seems they still do a real photography course, I might look into giving it a go! See link > http://www.icslearn.co.uk/course2211.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin