Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,477   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Snow picture development

I've taken quite a lot of pictures using HP5 and FP4 in the lats couple of days, exposing at EI200 and 64 respectively. It has been snowing heavily, with poor light, so that the exposure range is only 3-4 stops. Which developer do you recommend I use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    I've taken quite a lot of pictures using HP5 and FP4 in the lats couple of days, exposing at EI200 and 64 respectively. It has been snowing heavily, with poor light, so that the exposure range is only 3-4 stops. Which developer do you recommend I use?
    To begin, I don't follow your reasoning on how you rated the films. You seem to have done the exact opposite in each regard. (underrating HP5 and overrating FP4). That being said, a lot depends on your actual exposures of the snow luminence value. I guess at this juncture, you could use any film developer. You may have already "shot yourself in the foot" with the way that you exposed the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two recent shots in my gallery, 'Tree' and 'Snoowmaan!!' one shot with HP5+ at 200ASA, one with FP4 shot at 125ASA. Both were developed in Rodinal 1+50, the HP5 for 15 minutes, the FP4 for 18 minutes. Take a look and judge for yourself if they came out ok.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    To begin, I don't follow your reasoning on how you rated the films. You seem to have done the exact opposite in each regard. (underrating HP5 and overrating FP4). That being said, a lot depends on your actual exposures of the snow luminence value. I guess at this juncture, you could use any film developer. You may have already "shot yourself in the foot" with the way that you exposed the film.

Hmmm. I thought FP4 was 125asa which would give him exactly one stop of overexpose on both?

cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Neville,

Develop normally in your favorite developer. One stop will only move things up the curve a bit. If you only had 3-4 stops range, both films will work without problem.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Hmmm. I thought FP4 was 125asa which would give him exactly one stop of overexpose on both?

cheers
    My error...I read EI200 as 1200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds to me like you're ok. Negative films have lots of LAAAATITUDE and you may have just exposed them at the perfect EI. When a film maker puts an ISO on a box, it is based on exposing for the shadows and to reach a certain contrast level. It does not mean that you have to expose the film at that speed. Very often people will "overexpose" the film just as you did to get the results that they want.

Process your film as you normally would; the film should take it nicely, especially with snow in your scenes.

Let us know how they turn out. Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your setting the Hp5 at 200 sounds as though you may have a slight over exposure, but maybe not. At any rate, I would develop for twice the “normal” time. This should give a 2-stop expansion to your 3-stop exposure. I’ve done this successfully several times.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim, I'm going to process them in Rodinol tonight so I'll let you know how they turn out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Andy, I've had a look at your gallery and the snoe pics look fine to me, and it's given me confidence to process them now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin