Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,928   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Want lots of grain, like in the old days with Kodak 2475?

Hi. I registered many years ago, but really didn't get back into film until this year. Now I shoot all of my B&W with film, and stick with digital only in color, so I'll be around here much more often.

I put myself through university as a freelance photog and darkroom rat, and now I teach photography to classes in my "spare time," whatever that is. I'm a professional musician, teach and conduct a large amateur orchestra, so I'm a busy guy, and being around all of those musicians gives me GREAT subject matter for photography.

One of the questions I'm often asked is how to get more grain in prints. The usual thing is "I miss Kodak 2475 Recording film"

Well, you can search Ebay and get lucky occasionally, but what I'm doing and have been doing is using sub-miniature cameras (specifically the Olympus Pen FT), Tri-X and Rodinal at 1:25. You'll get all the grain you want, and the image will be much sharper than 2475, which was pretty muddy to start with.

You an also use Tri-X and Dektol (straight, 4 minutes), and the grain will be more noticeable but not as sharp.

The Pen half-frame camera is very high quality, readily available, and not that expensive. The lenses are sharp, and with this combination, you should be in Grain City and very happy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    substitute Fomapan 400 for trix
    use less dilute rodinal
    water stop
    temper to 3F
    golf ball grain...

you may need reflector to soften shadows cause the Foma does not have the dynamic range and you may burn highlights

I use 1+100 60mins stand but still burn

alternatively try Kentmere 400 it does not need the special treatment above.

HP5+ would be too similar to Trix

The quote from another photog... on a 5x7

how did you get that grain?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

I think you mention most of the things that will drive graininess, i.e. small format film, developers such as Rodinal that does not dissolve grain. I want to add pushing exposure and development. Tri-X at 800 or 1600 will give you lots of the classical photo-journalist look and you will still get some nice detail in the shadows.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello
    I sort of miss Recording Film, but Delta 3200 is a good replacement for it. By all accounts, it's actual speed is closer to 1000 ISO which is what I always rated recording film at. The grain will change depending on the developer, contrast of the negative and of course, size of print. For a sharp grain, Rodinal is good though there are many other choices, but for a bit more, try using print dev. Think there are previous forums here featuring such with recommended dilutions and times. However, tonality and shadow detail will probably not be as good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Develop a fast film like HP5+ in D-72 (Dektol), 1+2 or even 1+1. You'll have to experiment to find the best time.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moltogordo View Post
    ... what I'm doing and have been doing is using sub-miniature cameras (specifically the Olympus Pen FT)...
    This is the most reliable way I know to get grain. Shoot smaller formats of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    400 speed 35mm film, develop in Rodinal, aggressive agitation.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Incredibly creative group of people! Where there is a will, there is a way! I'll be trying some of those things for sure! I've not used Fomapan 400 - is it grainier than Tri-X?

I find HP5 a bit less grainy than Tri-X, but maybe that's because I use a finegrain developer on HP5 . . . . . .

Also, as said by Bill Burk, I use a smaller format when I want the grain. But lots of stuff to try here! I tend to be an experimenter.
    Last edited by moltogordo; 08-31-2014 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by moltogordo View Post
    I've not used Fomapan 400 - is it grainier than Tri-X?

I find HP5 a bit less grainy than Tri-X, but maybe that's because I use a finegrain developer on HP5 . . . . . .
    Fomapan seems to be more grainy than HP5+ donno about Trix.

It should be cheaper than either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've compared old Tri-X and new Tri-X, and the old just has so much more grain than the new, get some of that if you can...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin