Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,164   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thinking of trying a different film, initial questions.

I am thinking of giving Neopan Acros 100 a try since i've heard good things about it and i like what i see online. However, since it will be my 1st change since i began developing about a year ago (meaning 1st time i change something film/developer/workflow etc) i would like to answer the below questions first in order to avoid any catastrophies.

1. Any recommendations to the developing time needed for this combo? My MassiveDev app suggests 5:30 @ 20c, anyone tried it?

2. Provided that the developer stays the same (HC-110) can i keep the exact same workflow? Meaning 30 sec inversions at first and then 10 sec inversions every minute.

3. What about fixing? I currently use Ilford Rapid Fixer for 10 minutes with TMAX 100 and have no problem. Can i do the same with the Acros?

Many thanks in advance for all the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

in short - yes to all 3 points.

If you want to experiment and to get different results - Acros is not so different from Tmax 100, you could get very similar results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Acros is technically excellent, very easy to use and difficult to screw up. Really good reciprocity characteristics and quality control(and cheap!). I think it would make a great all-purpose film.

If your development time is that short you may want to agitate once every 30sec. Alternatively you could double the HC-110 dilution and develop for twice the time using your normal agitation. It should be easy to nail a development scheme with this combo very quickly.

Also, 10min is too long to fix. 4-5min should be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my biggest issue with acros 100 is that there is so little grain it is hard to focus using my grain magnifier. Grain?

I develop it as I do all film, d76, 1:1 at 68 degrees for 10.5 minutes, agitation every 30 seconds and for the first and last 30. Never had a problem.

sample shot, super ikonta A: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ikonta A_0015.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	597.8 KB 
ID:	93813

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neopan 100 Acros: http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...h/AF3-083E.pdf
    HC-110: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j24/j24.pdf

Curious, why the change from T-Max to Acros?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    hoakin1981,

I'd hesitate to recommend changing from one 100 speed film to another, I'm afraid you'll solve your original problem and think the film change was responsible.

And that's not just because I work for Kodak. It would be easier to help you solve issues if you stick to the combination you've been working with.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not to dampen your enthusiasm, since Fuji make some great emulsions, but they are also prone to discontinuing them at the drop of a hat. I had a real liking for Neopan 400 and they withdrew it. Ilford, on the other hand, have a major commitment to support film users and are here for the long term. Why not try FP4+ ? It has loads of character and is very flexible and forgiving.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    Not to dampen your enthusiasm, since Fuji make some great emulsions, but they are also prone to discontinuing them at the drop of a hat. I had a real liking for Neopan 400 and they withdrew it. Ilford, on the other hand, have a major commitment to support film users amd are here for the long term. Why not try FP4+ ? It has loads of character and is very flexible and forgiving.
    Or for that matter, Delta 100? If you want a fine-grain t-grain emulsion to compare against TMax 100, Delta 100 is closer in look/feel and performance. This is NOT to knock FP4+, it's a fantastic film. I'm still shooting my way through a good 60+ remaining rolls of a bulk lot I bought a few years ago.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Or for that matter, Delta 100? If you want a fine-grain t-grain emulsion to compare against TMax 100, Delta 100 is closer in look/feel and performance. This is NOT to knock FP4+, it's a fantastic film. I'm still shooting my way through a good 60+ remaining rolls of a bulk lot I bought a few years ago.
    Indeed Delta 100 is a great choice. That is the key here. Ilford give you a choice, not a contracting portfolio of.... how many mono films ? Oh yes... one !

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an aside, I shot and developed my first roll of Delta 100 this past week. Beautiful stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin