Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,405   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Out-of-Date Paper

I was wondering how old is too old for B&W paper? I saw some Kodak Polymax fine art single weight on clearance at my local photo store. The date is process before 08/04. What do you think?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would think the paper would be O.K. , depending on how soon you plan on using it. That is only 7 months past date. I would not expect to pay full retail though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your paper should be ok, and as Donald says, don't pay full price. The general rule on outdated film/paper is 1/2 price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree; However It must be remembered that once you buy paper and start to use itDO YOU finish it all up 'Before The USED -By Date?' Good storage temperature is the key. Cheers Barrie

Shooter
    35mm
    But is there a rule of thumb for how old the paper can be and still be usable? Months, years?

They had it for about 60% off retail.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinR
    But is there a rule of thumb for how old the paper can be and still be usable? Months, years?

That will vary with storage conditions and even paper between differing manufacturers. If you notice any base fog with outdated paper, you may want to consider using Benzatriazole as an additive in your paper developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

No. I have some Oriental Seagull graded paper that I bought in 1992 that still makes gorgeous prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was wondering how old is too old for B&W paper? I saw some Kodak Polymax fine art single weight on clearance at my local photo store. The date is process before 08/04. What do you think?
    It depends. Some papers have developer incorporated into the emulsion which speeds up the developing process considerably. They don't generally hold up as well as non developer incorporated papers. Storage conditions make a big difference as well. Cold stored paper will be in considerably better condition than something that's been subject to heat. Room temperature storage should be ok. Kodak Polymax Fine Art SW is a FB paper and if I recall correctly has no developer incorporated, so it's probably still good if the storage conditions have been ok. Kodak still lists this paper as being in production on their web site. I keep some of it on hand and like it a lot.
    Last edited by fschifano; 03-05-2005 at 09:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is generally stored in room temp. It isn't near any windows, so there isn't an issue with direct sunlight heating things up.

The store has some marked to $10 for a 25 pack. Normally $22. I know their cost on it is $14, so they're taking a loss on it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't remember ever having B&W paper visibly going out of date. I have a few boxes in odd sizes that I don't use much that I have had for many years and it still works fine.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin