Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,695   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Using Rodinal as a print developer

I once saw a Rodinal advertisement that gave different dilutions for both film and paper, as well as plates and lantern slides.

So I decided to do my own experiment and see if the new version of Rodinal, since that ad was probably from the early turn of the century (1900's-1940's?) was before revisions were made to the developer we still use today, would print.

I used both an RC type paper and a FB/Rag type paper.

Both gave a print image but both were weak and the images were sort of brown not black.

Is it the Rodinal that changed or the paper? Or the actual emulsion on the paper itself?

Thanksz
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What dilution did you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its like that unless you add some stuff to it. Notably some hydroquinone or ascborate. Sodium Carbonate and sodium sulphite.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1+7...

You have not accepted that all the Rodinals, Azol, etc., ... are clones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal will work well as a print developer but at higher concentration than needed for films, somewhere between 1+10 to 1+15, maybe even 1+20 but you'd need to test.

Conversely some print developers like Ilford PQ Universal, Champion Suprol etc will work well as fine grain film developers at higher dilutions like 1+29 or for higher contrast 1+19.

Papers need more vigorous development than films that's usually a reflection of the final dilution but it can also be controlled by adjusting the pH.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    1+7...

You have not accepted that all the Rodinals, Azol, etc., ... are clones.
    The major difference between modern Rodinal - RO9 is when it was reformulated, when Agfa merged with Gevaert, around 1963/4 the pH was increased and as a consequence the dilutions change to compensate.

Ilford's version of Rodinal - Certinal - dates back to about 1907. around the same time that Mees & Sheppard worked on p-aminiphenol developers at Wratten & Wainwright - Kodak later selling Kodinol, their clone.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Did they not change the concentration pre to post WWII?

When I wanted warm tone from MQ I added

water &
    KBr

to dev tray and developed for lot longer difficult to not snatch...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Did they not change the concentration pre to post WWII?

When I wanted warm tone from MQ I added

water &
    KBr

to dev tray and developed for lot longer difficult to not snatch...
    No the concentration was only changed in the 60's, which was why it differed from the Orwo/Calbe RO9 which was based on the pre-WWII Agfa Rodinal formula.

The Calbe version was changed more recently so the effective concentrations allowing for pH differences matched more closely.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an old advertisement with dilutions. I've used Rodinal for prints and it works.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Using Rodinal as a print developer

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Here's an old advertisement with dilutions. I've used Rodinal for prints and it works.
    Hmmm this is actually the dilution I try to use, and almost nothing came out but a very faint image, so I added more to the batch and made it something like 1 to 10, and that seem to develop something very very slowly, but I had to leave it in the developer for about 10 to 15 minutes.

This was A pile that was at my school, so it's entirely possible that it's lost its potency and has gone bad and that's why you didn't work, I can always bring in a fresh batch to see, it worked but it was very difficult to get an image out of it and they're very faint, not strong blacks or anything, it also tried over blowing the image a lot, and it seem to have almost no effect on the contrast it just seem to stay the same just to help you over a very long time, The last image done on the fiber-based paper instead of a resin coated paper was left in for almost an hour, and I got an image but it certainly wasn't strong.

If it's simply a case of the developer being bad, I'll go and try again using some fresh developer, Terry what dilution did you choose? I tried 1:80 and then 1:10 and the 1:10 seemed to work but again it could have gone bad?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin