Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,986   Online: 1066

Shooter
    35mm

Normal Process vs. more Diluted-Longer Time

Just out of curiosity I was thinking the other day, is there a significant point, benefit or reason why someone would choose to use the same developer but more diluted and then expand the time to compensate vs. what it would be a normal process. I know different developers offer different results. So far I am only familiar with D76 and TMAX at normal dilution/normal times. The way I thought of it was; if I modify the dilution that will produce a different result but if I expand the time to compensate , what was the point ?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With most general purpose solvent developers such as D-76, TMax, XTOL, DDX etc. and current films, you will typically get very similar sensitometric (ie "tonality") results when you dilute (within the normal ranges) and extend time. However when it comes to image structure (grain etc.), dilution and time extension do not necessarily offset. This gets into solvent action, buffering etc., but typically as you dilute a solvent developer and extend development time, people observe net increases in graininess (to varying degrees, from trivial to noticeable depending on the developer and film).

People will often say as you dilute and extend development time, you get increasing "compensation", particularly if agitation frequency is reduced. However when it comes to standard solvent developers and current films I have not found this to be the case to any significant degree.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 09-17-2014 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: TYPO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Michael points out it matters what type of developer you are speaking about. Two developers that are used in various dilutions are Rodinal and HC-110. When you are discussing a developer that is used in two or more very different concentrations you are really not speaking of the same thing. For example, when you use D-72 1+9 for film its really not D-72 in its behavior anymore but something akin to the Beutler formula and other acutance developers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Also worth noting is this: Not long ago I did some lengthy testing of HP5+ in HC-110, using various dilution ratios. I included a highly dilute (1+123 from concentrate) with much reduced agitation for as long as about 20 minutes, mainly thinking to use it as for compensating effect. In the process of doing these tests, I discovered that for certain dilutions there was also a loss of film speed, to the extent that as much as one full stop of exposure was needed to insure adequate shadow detail.
    Last edited by silveror0; 09-17-2014 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin