Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,785   Online: 839

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Rodinal Stand Develop Color & B&W

I've been seeing a lot of posts lately regarding stand developing with Rodinal 1:100 and am ready for an experiment.

I have a 126 Instamatic Cartridge with C41 film in it and a roll of Arista EDU 400 120. I am thinking about putting both rolls in the tank with the recommended amount to cover (in this case, 790ml) of Rodinal 1:100 and doing a one hour stand development process.

It had already been established that I'm crazy, so my remaining question is, "will this work or should I start thinking elsewhere"?

Thanks
    Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour several times, the only problem I had was that I felt that I lost some sharpness. Ever since then I've been using Rodinal 1:50 with normal times and normal agitation. That being said no reason that what your planning wouldn't work, other than your C41 obviously won't come out as color it will be B&W.
    Yashica-Mat 124 G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using Rodinal at 1:100 will result in loss of contrast and film speed. As has been said MANY times before stand development is not a general purpose development method. It's only valid use is to lower contrast from an unusually contrasty scene. Most books on the Zone Method will explain its use.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far I have developed 2 rolls using the stand method at 1:100 and was pleased with the results. But do want to use 1:50 with normal times and normal agitation to compare results.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've found a gain in speed in some films from an hour stand in Rodinal 1+100, and can also confirm a loss of sharpness, I also disagree that it's only for lowering contrast of high contrast subjects. Yes it will work, but your colour film will be in b&w unless you rehal process it. I've also found a few of my 1+100 1 hour stand negs too contrasty to print on grade 0, and had to be printed at higher grades with split-grade printing and selective latent image bleaching to get a decent print in the dark room.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Test completed and...failed.
    I went to the massive development chart and it said to develop for 2 hrs (I stuck with 1 hr as planned) and to rotate for the first minute (I did 30 sec) and to rotate for 10 seconds every minute (I didn't - I did 3 rotations at 30 min).

The black and white negatives came out extremely thin (underexposed or underdeveloped - my vote is for underdeveloped) and the old roll of 126 color film I found in a camera did not develop at all.

Time for more practice and experimentation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img115.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	94894
    I had to really work with the histogram to get to this point. I don't really understand the line in the pic (dark on the bottom). The film was stacked in the tank with the 126 on the bottom and this 120 on top of it so I really don't think it was standing in developer that did that. Maybe a shadow? I don't see it on the others but haven't looked closely at them yet

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin