Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,724   Online: 748

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sodium metaborate - availability UK?

Hi there,

Quick question - does anyone know where I can buy sodium metaborate in the UK? I have bought this from Silverprint in the past but it is no longer listed on their site. Looking for small quantities 500g - 1Kg not industrial quantities! does any other photo retailer sell raw chems?

Thanks in advance,
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    nope. Not. A. Chance.

You can get it from Moersch in Germany if you're willing to pay hefty shipping, or combine with other materials.

or you can substitute Sodium hydroxide and Borax in the correct proportion, which can be found by searching APUG. Ian Grant has given the correct ratio a few times but I can't be bothered to look myself I've got it written down somewhere but I'm not at home to find it, sorry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah found one here you go, from http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=718420

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A better method is use:

Borax (decahydrate) 45.4 g
    Sodium Hydroxide 9.5 g
    Water to 1 litre

This gives the equivalent of a 10% Solution of Sodium Metaborate (Kodalk)

Ian
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A UK Kodak Professional Handbook suggest using using:

Sodium Hydroxide 1.5 g
    Borax 7 g

In place of 10 g Kodalk (Sodium Metaborate) in DK-50.

This is the substitution I've always made, the 10% Solution is Steve Anchell's from the Darkroom Cookbook.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mike Wilde posted a nice procedure for reliably making Sodium Metaborate from Borax and Lye here.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ho ho ho Rudeofus, you and Gerald CK will have to disagree about the reliability of the Mike Wilde method

FWIW I ended up with a couple of batches of unusably basic "metaborate" using the Wilde method, so now if I need metaborate I weigh out hydroxide and borax as per Ian Grant, and haven't had any problems since

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheers guys - I had found the posts about making it from other ingredients, just would prefer to use it as a native powder. I can see a headache arriving as I try to work out substituting x grammes of metaborate with a % solution.

Btw, if it is "so easy" to make from other common ingredients, why is it not available anymore?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    demand, i expect.
    But making it commercially isn;t just a question of mixing hydroxide and borax i presume either.

you don't have to worry about solution substitution if you use the weights in the second of Ian's posts I quoted, by the way: that's a substitution for 10g by weight of metaborate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    try that well known auction site. I know it's probably against all sorts of regs to get this stuff posted, but.......................I bought 100g potassium dichromate not so long ago to stash away for future use, because at some point I want to have a go at bromoil. Read the safety data sheets on any chems you buy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that may be a route to go down - had a look for borax and that "can't be sold to the public" anymore! Just when I get into mixing my chems from raw, the ingredients cant be bought!! Thanks for all the inputs.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A friend of mine in the UK was also very surprised that he couldn't get it from a shop - a real bummer if you mix your own two-bath developer.

Ron found a supplier on the auction site called Fast Chem Chemical supplies or something very similar.

The other option would be to order it from Suvatlar in Hamburg. The German for Sodium Metaborate is Natriummetaborat.

Full contact details are: Fototechnik Suvatlar, Simrockstr.178a, 22589 Hamburg. Tel: 0049 40 39 57 09.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin