Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 653

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Building a Punch to Make Properly Perforated 828 Film

All -
    I just finished a project which I think would be on interest to this group. I have designed and build a device which will accurately produce 828 film, including the perforations, from unperforated 35mm stock. The resulting strips of film can be re-spooled onto used backing paper and spools to provide an inexpensive and high quality source for this obsolete film.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Complete assembly unlabeled.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	95100
    As a teaser, the device is pictured above. For complete details, and a set of plans, please read my blog post on the project at http://www.dasarodesigns.com/project...ated-828-film/.

What I need now is to find a source for unperforated 35mm B&W film stock (I have already found that I can get unperforated Portra, but I want black and white so that it can be easily developed at home). When I do, I plan sell strips of punched film so that anyone with an expired roll of 828 who is interested in shooting their Kodak Bantam may do so inexpensively. If anyone know who might supply such a thing, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Matthew D'Asaro
    No electrons were harmed in the taking of this photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice article Matthew, and welcome to APUG.

I hope this works out for you and thus for the 828 users out there ... you're obviously an ingenious and methodical worker, and I particularly like that you have released your design into the wild a la GPL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I might be interested in some 828 film. As for where to get unperforated 35mm, I'd email Ilford.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could slit down 120 or 127 film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you read the linked blog post, slitting 120 is the next preferred option if unperf 135 can't be easily found.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback! I have sent a message to Ilford asking if they can supply unperforated 35mm stock. We will see what they say. Stay tuned.

-Matthew D'Asaro
    No electrons were harmed in the taking of this photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought 2 rolls of this to try in 35mm cameras.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-an...item1c44678d32

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I bought 2 rolls of this to try in 35mm cameras.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-an...item1c44678d32
    Thanks for the link. I bought a roll for my Bantam Special. Just need to figure out how to expose/develop now. I'm guessing ISO 12 or 25?
    Last edited by Hatchetman; 09-24-2014 at 08:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link! That looks like it would work nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've also purchased microfilm on ebay. Just search APUG for information on using microfilm for pictorial use - it can be slow and have very high contrast.

Here is a similar thread about punching film:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...35mm-film.html
    Truzi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin