Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,851   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Favorite developer for getting the most out of Ilford Delta 100

I've had part of a bulk roll of Delta 100 35mm in the freezer for a coons age and was thinking about putting it in the bulk loader and using it up. It's not my normal 35mm film so I'm not going through all the EI testing. I just want to shoot it and have fun. Still, I would like to use a developer that lets me get all the definition/resolution I can out Delta 100. These are the developers I use at the moment: Perceptol, WD2D+, WD2H+, Pyrocat-MC. I have used FX-37, but haven't mixed or used it lately. I suppose I can just try one, but if somebody already has I'd like to hear. John W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'd try using your favorite print developer ( dektol dilute 1:7 )
    for 4.5 mins, agitate normally 1 min 10sec/min and brew a batch of caffenol72
    ( 1L of plain old caffenol c but put 1oz of straight/undilute dektol in it )
    and agitate continuously for 4mins ... you will be surprised - the negatives will look very nice.
    ( i do the same thing with ansco130 because i use that instead of dektol ... )
    ( rate your film at 2x box speed )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might like to try Ilford DDX. I have used DDX with other tablet grain films, TMax and Delta 100 and it works very well. Check out the multiple times in the Massive Developing Chart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gotta suggest Xtol 1+1. I've been using it with Delta 100 (4x5) a couple of years now and have no reason to look at anything else. I think it does wonders with local contrasts, holds highlights and adds a little speed that is apparent in the shadows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Favorite developer for getting the most out of Ilford Delta 100

Just saying you want the best definition/resolution doesn't really tell much, do you always shoot on the tripod and use a cable release? If you're not you're not getting the ultimate sharpness of your lens anyway so the resolution or sharpness/definition of the film really matters little. What is it you're looking for? Smoothest tonality? more contrast? or best shadow detail? Etc? Just try a few of the developers, only you can tell what you really want. Although you could try to describe to us what you want and I guess we can make suggestions but your exact agitation, timing and development technique, let alone how you meter is always going to be different matter what we tell you.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used Xtol replenished which is similar to 1+1, on some films it is the same resolution/detail level as Rodinal 1+25 but finer grain, and ahead of 1+100 stand developing. That said I've been playing with catechol based staining developer, that's higher resolving.

You don't need a tripod and shutter cable for high resolution, I've found switching developers makes a bigger impact (unless your shutter speed is simply insufficient), I've had a range from <40 lp/mm to 85-90 lp/mm for the same film, with different development.

You may want to look into Spur HRX (or even Spur SD if you dont mind speed loss for detail gain), going by Henning's results it is a fair bit in front of Xtol and other standard developers.

I mentioned Rodinal 1+100 wasn't as detailed as 1+25 and Xtol, on FP4+, it was limited to about 40 lp/mm.

Another thing you can do is developer modification, I was playing around with adding Potassium Bromide to developers to lose some speed, but what I found grain and detail didn't change. However, when I used Benzotriazole instead, grain and resolution both improved.

Here is a sample of FP4+ from one of those experiments, top sample is Rodinal 1+100 stand, bottom is also Rodinal 1+100 stand, but with 500mg/L of Benzotriazole, 900mg/L Potassium Thiocyanate, 5mg/L Potassium Iodide added, Benzotriazole on it's own would work too. The bottom sample is of course a couple stops of speed loss. My guess is you'll probably get the most out of the staining developers for a given speed.

http://i.imgur.com/4ZPO3Qs.jpg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are used to Perceptol and that´s what is on your shelf, I would recommend that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    If you are used to Perceptol and that´s what is on your shelf, I would recommend that.
    +1. Try whatever has worked for you in the past.

And if you enjoyed working with FX37, but don't want to mix it yourself, you might try FX39, which is [claimed to be] pretty similar to the former, but optimized for T-grain films like the Delta.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Just saying you want the best definition/resolution doesn't really tell much, do you always shoot on the tripod and use a cable release? If you're not you're not getting the ultimate sharpness of your lens anyway so the resolution or sharpness/definition of the film really matters little. What is it you're looking for? Smoothest tonality? more contrast? or best shadow detail? Etc? Just try a few of the developers, only you can tell what you really want. Although you could try to describe to us what you want and I guess we can make suggestions but your exact agitation, timing and development technique, let alone how you meter is always going to be different matter what we tell you.
    I don't like "mush" for grain, but I'm not a grain worshiper either. There are three main 35mm cameras I'll be using a Minox 35, Leica and Contaflex so lens resolution is the least of my worries. I just would like normal speed, good mid-tones and good detail rendering. The reason I'm not going to thoroughly test this is because I don't know how much is left on the bulk roll yet and I don't shoot 35mm much at all. Plus, if I did shoot more 35mm I have a preference for two other films over Delta 100 or any T-grain type film. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with Delta 100, but I don't use T-grain type films much. I use a tripod most of the time for my medium format work, but doubt these three cameras will see one for the remainder of the bulk Delta 100 roll. One other developer I have and forgot to list is Rodinal. If I have start on my own I'll probably start there since I'm very comfortable with Rodinal and know it well. The next would be Pyrocat-MC, but don't know how it will go with Delta since I use it more with conventional grain films. Maybe I'll just "fly by the seat of my pants" and play with it until it's gone. Who knows I just might really like it? John W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got good results from Delta 100 using Perceptol and Tmax developer and Rodinal. It is hard not to get good technical results from such an awesome film .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin