Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,257   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak D-76 shelf life - and yes, I searched...

The recent thread "Bad luck with Dektol packets" prompted my question.

I have a chance to grab some unopened D-76 (1 liter size) packets cheap. They are in the older packaging, not the plasticy type of foil, but the foil backed paper. Does the powder go bad, or lode some of it's properties over time? These were supposedly stored in a freezer, which also makes me question if that is the correct storage method.

So does D-76 have an expiration date, or 'spoil' over time if in powder form?

All the searches came up with mixed/diluted D-76, nothing about the powder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it mixes clear to very pale straw color it's good to use.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes you already have it. Mix it up and decide based on appearances. I recommend buying one or two fresh bags just for those bad days.

I have been working my way through a carton of the old Dektol in foil/paper wrapping. As I make my way through, occasionally I find a brown mottled bag and when I mix it it's dark coffee color. I throw it out and try another. It's about 50/50 now but when I got it 30 years ago (and even then it was old) the odds were better.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I don't have them yet. Trying to decide if it's worth getting them. It's about 20 packets, which would probably take me a decade to use up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I'd say go for it. I think the paper/foil bags have good keeping quality. EKC can't guarantee that so I'm just saying from my experience the old stuff tends to be good. Don't pay more than $50 for it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post

I have a chance to grab some unopened D-76 (1 liter size) packets cheap. They are in the older packaging, not the plasticy type of foil, but the foil backed paper. Does the powder go bad, or lode some of it's properties over time? These were supposedly stored in a freezer, which also makes me question if that is the correct storage method.

fridges no no for paper sealed powder pass on it.

buy shelf stored or scratch mix raw chemicals with micro balance use

D76d

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photogr...6_variants.htm

or

microphen !

buy micro balance cheap 0.01 gm resolution

Shooter
    35mm
    Slight correction - they were refrigerated, not frozen. If that matters.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

These packets should be good to last the rest of your lifetime.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The issue of storage life for powdered chemicals is complicated by a couple of factors.

Any projections from the manufacturer may actually be more about the packaging then the chemicals inside it. If the manufacturer has data indicating they have seen a small number of packaging failures after 5 years, they might decide to project 4 year life.

In addition, if the manufacturer has or is seeking ISO certification, it may be a requirement of that certification that all packages be marked with an expiry date.

Finally, as has been posted before, retailers, shippers and end user can, through mis-handling, really reduce the life of chemicals.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Slight correction - they were refrigerated, not frozen. If that matters.
    pass

fridges are also at 100% relative humidity (RH) paper packaging is no good at 100%.

You would be ok with plastic but some one does not understand physical chemistry to store powders at high RH they would normally be ok on shelf for decades.

Or the ID-11 Ilford clone of D76 is ok after +ten on shelf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin