Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,772   Posts: 1,670,993   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acros, New Package

Yesterday I stopped off at my film store to re-stock my dwindling film supplies. I grabbed the very last box of Acros and saw that the package now sports the new design style that Provia and Velvia have. I have not seen that before and found that a bit of a surprise. The expiry date of this batch of Acros is in 2016. I guess this points to Fujifilm's commitment to this particular film.

On a bummer note, but still probably good news, I could not buy almost all the films that I wanted to get! Stock was out of Acros ( I got the last box, but was planning to buy 5 boxes), HP5+ ( I wanted 15 rolls, got none), and 400H (I wanted 10 rolls, got none). Film sales have been brisk with the upcoming Chinese national holiday. Good news for film!

Another thing I saw was that there is TONS of 160NS still in the stores. 3 stores had 50 boxes or more each. This film is discontinued correct?

One last thing, my film store now sports a TON of Foma film. Half the film wall now is all Foma. It didnt used to be like that a few weeks ago. It seems that this brand of film is making a big push into the China market. I've never shot any Foma at all and have sort of settled on Acros, HP5+, and Delta 3200 as my main films.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I've shot a fair bit of Foma. I'm not so partial to the 200's grain for it's speed, but it's usable and I like it at 100. Given my druthers, I like the 100 at 50. Larger formats work better than 35mm IMO, nice old-school look.

Shooter
    35mm
    The design change was decided at the same time as the other films. Had you search this forum, you would have seen it here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...eb-2013-a.html

Haven't you tried Foma? What are you waiting for? Go get some.
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    The design change was decided at the same time as the other films. Had you search this forum, you would have seen it here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...eb-2013-a.html

Haven't you tried Foma? What are you waiting for? Go get some.
    Why would I search the forum over something I just saw yesterday? China was one of THE first to get the new Velvia, Provia, etc, boxes. I have shot at least 75 rolls of Acros this summer and have never once seen any new boxes from that film. Further, Every other vendor in this mall yesterday had the old boxes. Only my film guy, for whatever reason had the new boxes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try Foma, it's lovely film, Ii's almost the only film I use for black and white, I use 200 and 400, and get great old school results from it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    Try Foma, it's lovely film, Ii's almost the only film I use for black and white, I use 200 and 400, and get great old school results from it
    1. It sounds like it is not a hardened film.
    2. Everyone says rate it at 200. I dont buy 400 film to rate at 200.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 'expire' date on the Ilford XP2+ in my bag says Jun 17 bought in local pharmacy. Low turnover dusty shelves...

Acros at '16 may mean it was packaged in '13 and they have over packaged?

The Forma should be a lot cheaper than Acros but it is not prehardened and needs tempering of all solutions.

You need to read the data sheets which are accurate. The ISO on the box is 'nominal' cept for the

It is serviceable film. The 400 has grain like golf balls but if you like grain, it will also burn highlights readily, but it and my single coated lenses leaves me with a 60's look

YMMV

http://www.foma.cz/en/catalogue-foma...ion-detail-272

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Fomapan 100 in three formats and two brands(Arista EDU Ultra, Foma), at box speed with outstanding results. I can't speak to 200 and 400 speeds, never use them. There are times I shoot 4x5 at half speed, but that's because of specific desired results and developer choices. You do need to take the softer emulsion into consideration, I usually use PMK Pyro for developing(tanning properties), but any developer is good. The factory recommends no acid stop after developing, but I have found 50% strength stop reduces chance of pinholes in emulsion while still active enough to do it's job.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Why would I search the forum over something I just saw yesterday? China was one of THE first to get the new Velvia, Provia, etc, boxes. I have shot at least 75 rolls of Acros this summer and have never once seen any new boxes from that film. Further, Every other vendor in this mall yesterday had the old boxes. Only my film guy, for whatever reason had the new boxes.
    Actually, I'd have to say that Japan is THE first place for these new packages to come out and they've been around here for a while, coming out around the same time as Velvia, Provia, etc. It just may be that the vendor(s) in China had to go through all of their old stock before putting the new stuff out. Either way, it doesn't really matter. I'm just happy that Acros is easily still available as it's my favourite film.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Another thing I saw was that there is TONS of 160NS still in the stores. 3 stores had 50 boxes or more each. This film is discontinued correct?
    At least in Japan, PRO160NS it is NOT discontinued.
    See
    http://www.nationalphoto.co.jp/1F/NP...ce-NowHere.pdf
    (You can go Fuji Japanese website if you want to check, but for the current availability, I go to this site, it is most accurate, and concise. National Photo is the store aimed for professionals and they get the precise info, and I sometimes find Fuji's website is unclear for the availability of films)
    But in other countries, may be 400H is the only C41 "PROFESSIONAL" film currently available from Fuji.
    (Well, film is perishable product so the importer don't want to handle films that is not popular, right?)
    Anyway I see a LOT of PRO160NS here.
    Well, if Kodak C41 Pro film is available where you live, I personally think that professional Fuji C41 is not really necessary.
    I tend to avoid using Fuji C41 films, but resent serious price increase in Kodak C41 pro film in Japan let me rethink about this.
    Also, I personally think that it is a miracle that Fuji still makes B&W films.
    In the hay day of films, Fuji's B&W films was not that popular even in Japan (compared to brand such as Kodak etc. Did you have experience using such film like Neopan SS, Neopan SSS ?) and Fuji was unable to establish B&W film market worldwide.
    Well today, the players in this market is limited, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin