Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,195   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Speed matched RC & FB

I checked the forums and didn't quite find the answer I was seeking, so here goes:

Does anyone make a FB paper that is the same speed/grade as their RC? I'm interested in being able to make work prints on RC with all the dodging and the burning and the hoyven mavin! and then being able to switch to FB for a set of final prints.

Of course, I could work this all out with a meter and the f stop timer. Just asking. Thanks!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never found a paper pair that's perfectly matched. But there are other options. The RH Designs Analyzer will let you profile papers and match the grade. Figuring out the speed difference should be easy, especially with fstop timing.

When I built my VC head I made it so paper grades are matched. I can also match speed, but I haven't reprofiled the papers for that. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Here's another issue that may make your intended work flow more difficult. It appears that most RC papers are developer incorporated, at least everything at Freestyle--and with the exception of Ilford. The pdf's are not always clear on this point but if the recommended developing time is 60-90 seconds you can count on the paper having a developer-incorporated emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I checked the forums and didn't quite find the answer I was seeking, so here goes:

Does anyone make a FB paper that is the same speed/grade as their RC? I'm interested in being able to make work prints on RC with all the dodging and the burning and the hoyven mavin! and then being able to switch to FB for a set of final prints.

Of course, I could work this all out with a meter and the f stop timer. Just asking. Thanks!
    You can get very close to that if not exactly there with any paper combination if you start to use f/stop timingUsing f/stop timing all print manipulations stay consistentand any paper speed difference is compensated for
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford papers are pretty close, though the new FB classic and cooltone papers are slightly faster than the standard MG RC.
    I proof with MG RC routinely.
    Note that surface differences and dry down will always give you different results between FB and RC, and even if the emulsion speeds were perfectly matched, the other factors make it difficult to switch without additional testing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    Here's another issue that may make your intended work flow more difficult. It appears that most RC papers are developer incorporated, at least everything at Freestyle--and with the exception of Ilford. The pdf's are not always clear on this point but if the recommended developing time is 60-90 seconds you can count on the paper having a developer-incorporated emulsion.
    It's not vey difficult to compensate for paper-speed differences whatever their origin may be
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The closest I've ever used is Fotokemika Varikon. Good luck finding another combo.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    The problem isn't speed matching, it's curve matching. It's easy to compensate for simple speed differences. But having the same ISO paper speed pegged to a particular gray value doesn't do you any good if the rest of the scale is rendered differently. And in my experience, products that have similar names between RC and FB versions, so that one would assume that they provide a matched pair, with the same emulsion just coated on different bases, in fact tend to deliver noticeably different curve shapes.

Shooter
    35mm
    To match RC and FB exactly I think is quite difficult having "fine art" requirements in mind. For standard enlargements which will be used just to be shown in the round of friends or family I use the same metering for Fomaspeed Variant (=RC) and Fomabrom Variant (=FB) as they are very close, I would estimate they are within a 10% corridor (the percentage is on the visual comparison, so quite subjective ).

For special enlargements which I will use for a present, framing..., I do always an additional fine tuning in order to "underline" the expression of the photo. This fine tuning for me is the real fun...

So have fun!
    Marcus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great info, everyone, thanks for the replies.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin