Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is there thing as a bad roll?

Hey guys,

is is there such a thing as a bad roll of film? Even from from brand name as Ilford? I developed a roll of black and white asa 100 delta 120. I noticed what looked like scratch running down 3/4 on the left side of this roll. I panicked, and quickly reviewed previous roll from same camera.. Nothing there indicating there might be something the camera is doing. So it possible I processed a bad roll?

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you mean a bad roll in the sense of one roll only exhibiting a defect when the hundreds of rolls before it and after it are OK?

I'd have thought not. Once a defect is spotted by Ilford I'd have thought that its quality checks allow it to know how far back the defect may have occurred and to check those lengths or rolls before they leave the factory.

Otherwise we, the consumers, become the QC inspectors for Ilford and it relies on us to tell it when we discover a defect.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. Maybe there is few that slipped through QC... Again, I checked previous developed rolls and no onomalies on film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just on another site, it is nearly impossible for Rolleiflex to scratch film due to protective paper on film. Must of been while processing. Oh..BTW, I don't use squeegee either. I dip my finger in photo flo and skreet the film between them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try another roll through your camera to make sure its not the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you got a little grit on your finger, squeegeeing can scratch the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Doing a shoot of my kids homecoming dance later in the week. I'll keep you posted.

Shooter
    35mm

Have you ever

Have you ever seen a brand new disabled Rolls Royce alongside the road and with the engine compartment on fire? I did -- once. I have been around towns that had a lot of those cars and never saw a disabled one before or after. STUFF HAPPENS.

Shooter
    35mm

forgot

I forgot to mention I would NOT look at the firm that made the roll of film as the culprit, except as a last resort. It is probably something else but you never know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I developed a roll of black and white asa 100 delta 120. I noticed what looked like scratch running down 3/4 on the left side of this roll. I panicked, and quickly reviewed previous roll from same camera.. Nothing there indicating there might be something the camera is doing. So it possible I processed a bad roll?
    Could be bad film from the manufacturer, but extremely unlikely.

It should be easy enough to check, though. Since 120 roll film is taped to the backing paper, this means that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE for your camera to put a scratch there. If the scratch continues under the tape, it had to have come that way from the manufacturer. (A scratch will be visible even on unprocessed film; examine closely looking at the reflections from a specular type of light source.)

So, find the beginning of the film and have a look. If you left the tape in place, peel it off and see if the scratch goes through that part. If you've already peeled the tape off, it's possible that you somehow scratched the film there during processing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin